1985 j115tlco cant get fly wheel off?

mhyder63ford

Seaman
trying to remove fly wheel to change rectifier/ regulator. i have the nut lose on top, and using a fly wheel puller wont budge?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
You tighten the center bolt as much as you dare.----Then give the center bolt a hefty bump with a ball peen hammer .

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Are you using this type flywheel puller?

1MZR2_AS01.JPG

If so make certain the bolts you are using are grade 8. Because anything less will break. Then like racerone stated, tighten as tight as you can and rap the center bolt with a good size ball peen hammer. If the doesn't break it loose, tighten some more and continue with the ball peen. I ended up using a pneumatic impact wrench myself on the center bolt and it popped off... JMHO!

racerone

Supreme Mariner
?????----Really.------The water cooled regulator / rectifier is mounted on top of the block.---------Removing the flywheel certainly makes the job easier !

mhyder63ford

Seaman
yes thats the puller i'm using. and i do have grade 8 bolts, and using impact gun to tight center bolt. also put some pb blaster on it and still no luck. and yes you have to take the fly wheel off to change the reg/rect on this motor. no wat to get back bolts out if you dont.

mhyder63ford

Seaman
got her pretty tight going to let it set over night and see what happens. is it possible to heat it with a torch? or not a good idea

racerone

Supreme Mariner
The proper puller works every time.----Heat should not be used here !!

Auxlarry

Petty Officer 1st Class
I just pulled mine a couple weeks ago and had the same issue....took about 8 hours of torque, beat, pb blaster and waiting before it finally popped loose while I was away at dinner!! Be patient, it will come off!!

racerone

Supreme Mariner
These flimsy pullers flex too much.---Just do not work like the factory puller !!!!

Last edited:

interalian

Commander
I just pulled mine a couple weeks ago and had the same issue....took about 8 hours of torque, beat, pb blaster and waiting before it finally popped loose while I was away at dinner!! Be patient, it will come off!!

A good take-away from this comment: don't remove the nut - just loosen it a few turns. Keeps the flywheel from popping off, and maybe falling somewhere it can get or cause damage.

mhyder63ford

Seaman
i agree racerone but hard to swallow a 110.00 for a puller your going to use one time. but it did come lose went out this morning and it had popped lose. now just waiting on the mail man. thank you guys for the help.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Most shops would pull that for you in minutes.-That would be time and money well spent.-Using heat and other brute force risks damage to big $$$ parts .

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I have to say good for you getting it removed. But remember, you have to make absolutely sure that both the flywheel AND the tapered crankshaft section are totally clean and dry without any oil or lube on them when you put it back on...

mhyder63ford

Seaman
thank you gm280 will do putting back together this week end and i believe the torque on the nut is 100-105 ftlb ?