1959 35 hp evinrude lark stuck driveshaft

Johnson110

Chief Petty Officer
No I have the bottom set up same as in your photo, however I DO NOT have that o-ring on the top bearing it was not there, should I get one and install it?, nice photo it is exactly what I have on my bench ! Also I have the bottom seal off I was going to install AFTER the halves are assembled, Thanks for the guidance with this engine, it has been a very long time since I did one, I guess its age and a million other things going on, it's not like when I was a kid and this is all i had to do, anyhow any photo's you post help a great deal !!

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
Actually NO do not install an oring there, this picture was used to show something else, but should have mentioned that. There is no o ring on the top bearing, there is a hole in the groove which runs down to the intake manifold.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
Also, push the pistons down out of the way, then pull them up and bolt up once you get the crank seated. Don't try to do too many things at once.

Johnson110

Chief Petty Officer
I ordered a torque wrench from sears in lbs seems there are not easy to find everything is ft lbs, then I can proceed with the job.

Johnson110

Chief Petty Officer
I am ready to bolt the crankcase halves back together, I found the permatex anaerobic gasket maker which is what i want to use, being I do not have access to the 3m 847, Is it ok to use the permatex 51813 ?

Johnson110

Chief Petty Officer
Hi, I have my powerhead assembled on the work bench, I have the armature plate on it so the plate arm hits the stop on the block. I want to know if the armature plate can go on one way only, how do I know if it is on right ? I put the flat side up on the brass retainer with the four screws attached it seems right.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
You are right, flat side up.

The mag plate only really can go on one way, so that everything works. Then just rotate the ring under the brass support plate to align with the holes in the mag plate.

Add a thin layer of grease to the brass ring, and under the mag plate where it will ride, not too much though, or it will ruin the points.

I never use Permatex, so cannot say how well it works sorry.