1989 Evin 200 looper, may purchase for rework

rothfm

Ensign
Guy in nearby town has this 25" 1998 200 looper motor for sale. Wants 500.

Havent looked at it yet but he seems knowledgable and did inspectors it. He states one hole is scuffed.

When he took head off, appears rod bolts came loose/broke as the piston was able to come out.

This would be a winter project for me, not intended to resell or part out. Maybe it would go on my boat. Ive rebuilt several crossflows from 85 to 150, all non loopers.

Thoughts on this? Its a bit newer than i normally work on. Is it OIS? What about the price? Tnt, lower, carbs....all in good shape. Is this year/model reliable?

Looking next week.

Thanks

rothfm

Ensign
Yea, agreed. If it wasnt viable for rebuild could recoup by selling lower and tnt i guess.

Ive only reworked older crossflows. Is this looper a decent/reliable motor in general?

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
If its a 98 yes if 89 no. The 89 is a non finger port block and has the chitty carbs...

rothfm

Ensign
Finally had a chance to take off one head. Man, did that piston skirt tear up. The Bore is severely damaged. The sleeve is damaged, and spun a bit too. Will take it fully apart to examine other areas. One rod cap bolt was fully out and laying there, the other bolt broke. Chunks of Skirt and bits of port edges are laying around. Shining a light up past the crank, I see a few chunks back there--Looks to be in the reed area i believe. Pics look better than it is actually. Its bad.

But overall the motor is in great shape. If this damage is limited to that Hole. Will see about sleeving maybe. Have to tear it down first. Else Part out the Lower and TNT, get my dough back. Time will tell.

4.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

9.jpg

8.jpg

13.jpg

15.jpg

Attachments

• 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 0

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Common problem...ring locating pin migrated out. Make sure who ever machines this it does the water mod to help prevent this. Also even if the other pistons look fine replace them as their pin will soon follow and all work will be for nothing..

rothfm

Ensign
Thanks Faztbullet...What is the water mod? Looking foward to a fall/winter project on this, if it looks ok after teardown. Would go on my 21 WA. There is a reliable Marine Rebuilder on the New Bedford waterfront that I talked to today. They resleeve all the time.

Thanks

rothfm

Ensign
Fazbullet, Searched Water Mod..could find. Can you elaborate what that Water Mod is about?
Still wont know if This will be a good candidate for rebuild till torn down but curious about this mod you mention

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
It a cooling mod to block that makes water circulate like the ficht motors.A hole is enlarged in main cavity under rectifier and deflectors installed in top of cylinders...Get it apart and I'll give ya the guy to send it to ...