1985 evinrude 15. Want to install starter?

ashtonstrish

Cadet
Want to put starter on 1985 evinrude 15 and want to keep pull start and also want to put a key in?

Vic.S

Rear Admiral
An electric starting kit was available, part number 0173344, but is now listed as obsolete. Parts motor perhaps your best option now.

Requires a dfferent flywheel. Dont know if the rope start will still fit

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
and the flywheel is expensive -- and used ones a little hard to find. A 9.9 electric should work for parts (Yachtwin, or just a regular 9.9 with factory electric). Big on donor motors. Look around marinas catering to sailboaters. Electric start flywheel has the dual ring gear (elec starter engages the top ring gear, manual starter the lower one).

Last edited:

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Ashton----------The stuff you need is fairly common.----Are you looking to make this a remote start or electric start at the tiller ?---What is your location ??

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
unless you have the experience to do otherwise, stick with 9.9 or 15 parts -- starter and mount would have to be an exact fit. And best bet for switch and wiring is to go with a sister motor (25hp would use a solenoid, for example -- 9.9 does not).

BillP

Captain
Want to put starter on 1985 evinrude 15 and want to keep pull start and also want to put a key in?

I don't know if a1991 fits yours but I've had a 1991 elec start 9.9 Johnson for the past 10+ yrs. It has a push button mounted on the front of the bracket to engage the starter but no key. The ignition is turned on with the conventional OMC plastic safety clip that pushes a button down...mounted on the tiller by the twist grip.The pull cord works just like a non electric one. It also charges the battery. If you don't want to hook a battery up just coil up the batt wires up and use the pull cord. I do it both ways.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Ashton -- happens I worked on an ’83, ’84, and ’91 9.9 this summer — know from experience you can switch the whole ignition system from the ’91 to the ‘80s motors (as well as the cylinder head --t.stat more accessible than on earlier ones.) So if you were to find a ’91 electric donor motor, say, you could just make the switch (and include the whole starter assembly, neutral safety switch, etc.) You should be able to do the same thing with any of the 9.9 (or 15) electrics from ’85 to ’91 (actually, probably ‘70s through ‘90s, but would have to look and compare). You will need the rectifier assembly if you want to be able to charge the battery in an electric start system. Your stator is probably the same as or similar to the elec. start models of similar vintage -- would have to look to see what would be involved if just purchasing and wiring in a rectifier. If you have a charging system, the battery should be connected whenever you run the motor.

So if BillP destroys his lower unit, gets mad and sells the motor, you should buy it. ;)

Last edited:

ashtonstrish

Cadet
I think I should hold off it sounds like a LOT of work and I saw pricing and it can get a little pricey. A definite I have to do is install a actuator for power tilt and trim because I need something to help adjust the motor in the river

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
hate to be a doomsayer, but tilt and trim might be even more expensive. Panther aftermarket unit for 35 and under is about $450. No 9.9/15 J and E tilt and trim that I'm aware of, unless maybe current 4 strokes offer it. Merc offers a nice looking 9.9 with t. and t. for about $4K new. Dunno.....

ashtonstrish

Cadet
I can make one with a spot where it looks like there's a handle just take that out and mount an actuator