stumpted

I have a 1963 starcraft with 1968 evinrude 40hp lark x selectmatic . with 1968 Johnson control box . my problem is throttle cable is shorting out when moved. been threw wires 100 times. tried 3 way toggle still no change.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
What is your motor doing / not doing.----I do not see how the " throttle cable " can short out.-----Is a fuse blowing when you put the motor in forward.---Give exact details here.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
engine dies when you push the button -- or maybe dies when you try to throttle up while in gear? Might not be electrical.

when I turn the steering wheel shorts out because throttle cable moves, when I move to forward or reverse shorts out, when move cable by control box or motor end shorts, when I move anything to do with cable shorts out. motor runs just fine but when lose power shorts out power to propeller forward and reverse. has no fuses that I have found . its an electramatic control single lever with throttle tensioner . and red lever wish I think is start up idle no wires connected to it. when I move the plug wires and plate under flywheel shorts out. moter will stay running just have to wiggle or hold cable to keep it in gear or keep lights on.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
If I had to guess (and I do), would guess a bad ground. Find the motor ground and wire harness ground(s) and make sure they are secure with good connections.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Sound to me that you have something under the flywheel that is the problem. Every thing you stated points to something under the flywheel. I think you need to remove the flywheel and see what's going on. Because you stated that moving the plate under the flywheel makes it short out... IDK!