Update on 1959 Glassmaster Boat

NC-Rookie

Seaman Apprentice
I think I have found a 35 hp Evinrude replacement motor for my 14 ft Glassmaster. After printing the picture it looks more like a long shaft. Is this a big problem and are shafts interchangable ? I still have my 35514 35 hp. Not sure what model the motor I'm looking at.

lindy46

Captain
No data plate? That would have the model number. If it's a long shaft and you need a short shaft, you would need the shorter driveshaft, shift shaft, and rear bolt. You may be able to trade out the parts from your existing motor if they are close to the same year.

NC-Rookie

Seaman Apprentice
As my name implies, I'm new to restoring boats. Just for my information, why does it matter as far as long and short shafts on particular boat?

gm280

Supreme Mariner
As my name implies, I'm new to restoring boats. Just for my information, why does it matter as far as long and short shafts on particular boat?

NC-Rookie, the real difference depends on the actual transom of the boat. What you are trying to do is mount any engine where the cavitation plate on the engine is even with the bottom of the hull. That way the prop won't draw in air and propel the boat forward. If the engine sits too high, both propulsion AND water pickup suffers and serious engine problems happen. If it is too long then the boat will run, but not with much speed and also can hit more underwater obstacles...not a good idea. So check your transom high and set your engine at the proper height.

NC-Rookie

Seaman Apprentice
thank you for taking time to explain it to me. although I'm 60, I always challenge myself to learn more things and hopefully keep my mind alert. As far as the motor , I did buy it yesterday and yes I did look at it first (supposedly low compression) and the younger guy insisted that it was a short shaft but I still think it looks too long. Didn't have a tape measure to prove anyone wrong but I hope I'm wrong this time. will have it home Tues.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
If it is a long shaft, will have a transition piece in there. If you post a pic we can tell you right away what you have.

NC-Rookie

Seaman Apprentice
No Title

Finally found the picture of the motor. Long or short?

Attachments

• photo226975.jpg
    photo226975.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 0

NC-Rookie

Seaman Apprentice
I posted a picture of the motor that I bought as a replacement Sat. but no response. . Suppose to pick it up tomorrow. Is this a long or short shaft?

lindy46

Captain
That's an early '80s motor - probably a 1981. Hard to tell from the pic whether it's a long or short shaft. Measure the distance from the bottom of the transom clamp to the cavitation plate. If it's 20" or longer, it's a long shaft.

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
that is a long shaft if you need a short shaft you will need a donor motor as you need to change the whole center section

NC-Rookie

Seaman Apprentice
Just got back with the motor. Just to confirm that it is indeed a long shaft, the Model # is 35E79A.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
Yep, it is indeed a longshaft model. No easy way to convert it to short shaft without finding a donor motor with a short mid, followed by short driveshaft and shift rod.

NC-Rookie

Seaman Apprentice
Just how poorly will this motor perform on this 1959 14 ft. Glassmaster?