1983 Evinrude Yachtwin 9.9 - Water problems and tiller handle frozen

Putzaroni1

Petty Officer 2nd Class
So I am continuing to work on my kicker with some success but now have 2 new problems.

1) The tiller handle when I try to get it to rev up the motor, it won't move. It is the same in reverse, forward and neutral. I have tried to look for some kind of info on this but have found nothing so far. It shifts between gears fine but the only way I can rev the motor at all is by doing it manually at the carb. It idles well however ;-) but I cannot turn the control from the tiller handle. Is there a safety or some kind of lock ? Could it just be seized ?

2) There is finally water coming out of the tell tale but it gets quite hot. The water pump has been replaced. I took the head off to check and cleaned everything I could get at out. I replaced the thermostat and gasket. I can see water getting out where you can see the shift shaft on the leg. I did have issues lining up the water tube with it being 10" longer than a short shaft and not being able to see how it was lining up but water is coming out the tell tale. I did take a reading off the head and it is getting above 160 degrees so I shut it off.

Any suggestions on either front ? Salmon fishing season is upon us here......
Thank you.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Yes, 160 is getting too hot, so good to shut it off. t.stat went in OK, spring in place? It's kind of a delicate installation. It sounds like water is getting up to the head, anyway. It's possible the water passages are partially blocked with corrosion, particularly if salt water use. On the tiller handle -- good to check a parts blow up and see what the linkages look like, if you haven't already. The grip won't turn past the starting throttle position, of course, unless the motor is in gear.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Putzaroni1, you can go to "boat dot net" and type in your year make and model number and see the entire break down for your engine. That way you can see if there is anything obstructing your tiller handle movement. ALSO, buy a manufacture, year, model, HP specific shop manual for your engine and anything you could even want to know will be answered in that manual. Don't buy an after market manual because they try to cover too many models and years and miss so much important things about your engine.

raczekp1

Lieutenant
low water flow is becouse upper water pipe gromet is locked becouse runing motor in higher temp.
only one way to fix is to lift powerhead and change grommet

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
I have an '83 and an '84 yachtwin, and worked on both earlier this summer. If you pulled the cylinder head to get at the t.stat cover, need a new head gasket. I would suspect a head gasket before pulling the powerhead.

[btw: that t.stat cover doesn't seem to be a great design -- '84 has two bolts at the bottom, thru '83 had offset bolts at the bottom. If you managed to pull that cover and reinstall it without pulling the cyl head, you might not have the lower bolts torqued quite right, or the port side may have loosened with engine heat. Might tighten them a little if you can get at them.]

Last edited:

raczekp1

Lieutenant
Last week i wored on 9.9 with cooling problem. low water flow.
look here Zdj?™cie0549.jpg

Putzaroni1

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I know this is an old post but I have an additional question and something to add that might help someone else.
So I took the motor to a marine mechanic because he said that those extra long shaft motors don't always pump water so good when in a garbage can. He said the water is cycling around so much that the water pump doesn't always pickup water as good as it can. I took it and put it in his test tank and voila, it did pump water pretty good. The temp stayed at around 120 degs for 10 mins so I think that must be true as in a garbage can it was heating up and barely spitting water. Good to know.
Now my only issue is with the tiller handle being frozen. I traced it back and he said there is something corroded under the armature plate.

I was told to take it off and use emery cloth to clean up the corrosion and grease it. I am trying to take it off and loosened all the screws but I can't figure out now to get it to let go. Any tips ?

Last edited:

Putzaroni1

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have uploaded a picture with the top of the plate. I have green arrows for the screws I undid. The 2 red arrows in the middle are of what it seems to be stuck on but I'm not positive. Why would it be holding on these ?

ArmaturePlate3(withArrows).jpg

racerone

Supreme Mariner
If you have seperated the retainer by loosening those screws the plate should simply lift off.

Putzaroni1

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks Racerone. So last night decided to just soak a little PB Blaster on the area closest to the crankshaft. I left it for a couple hours and went out and place a prybar under the plate and gave it a couple love taps in 4 or 5 different places and it started to move !!!
I'm trying to decide if I pull it apart now and clean it all up or if it's working just to bolt it back together and go with it.
It must have been corroded to the plate below.

Putzaroni1

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Yes it rotates slightly but not fully. So it's moving now but I'm guessing I need to disassemble it so that the plate is off and see what's under there. I bought some emery cloth and I will try cleaning up any corrosion under there and put a small amount of grease. I hope to do that this weekend. I'll let you know how it works out.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
I know this is an old post but I have an additional question and something to add that might help someone else.
So I took the motor to a marine mechanic because he said that those extra long shaft motors don't always pump water so good when in a garbage can. He said the water is cycling around so much that the water pump doesn't always pickup water as good as it can. I took it and put it in his test tank and voila, it did pump water pretty good. The temp stayed at around 120 degs for 10 mins so I think that must be true as in a garbage can it was heating up and barely spitting water. Good to know.
Now my only issue is with the tiller handle being frozen. I traced it back and he said there is something corroded under the armature plate.

I was told to take it off and use emery cloth to clean up the corrosion and grease it. I am trying to take it off and loosened all the screws but I can't figure out now to get it to let go. Any tips ?

My five 25" shafts do fine in a test barrel, as did previous motors. You likely have salt water corrosion in the passages, and won't get full cooling until you physically clean it out. As a poster suggested in your earlier thread, pull the head cover and exhaust cover and clean them out. When the head is off, remove the thermostat cover and clean it out, then check the t.stat. Likely need to just replace it if you haven't already. Watch out for corroded bolts. Current issue likely corrosion too, and similarly to water passages no option other than disassembly and cleaning.