Evinrude VRO 50 HP Engine Turnover problem

Dell007

Recruit
I've a 50 HP Evinrude VRO outboard that was last run 5 years ago. Now trying to get it going again, engine turns over fine with the spark plugs (2) out but when spark plugs in turn over is very slow and sluggish, any ideas what might be causing the problem please - I'm a non mechanic :)

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Oil in the lower unit checked ?-------You have a battery problem , or a starter motor problem, or a cable problem that is causing the cranking problems.--------Even for a novice the starter is easy to inspect.---That is where I would start.

Dell007

Recruit
It's a brand new battery, starter motor engaging fine and turning engine when spark plugs out, but slows right down when plugs but back in. Wondering whether as engine speed slows down when plugs in (due to excessive compression?), something could be blocked or partially blocked but not sure where to look

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Some testing needs to be done.----Is the new battery in fact a good one. --------And no there is no such thing as too much compression on that motor !!!!!!------I am suspecting a bad starter motor so pull it apart and inspect it !!

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
while you are inspecting your starter also clean all the electrical connectors use emory cloth or a wire brush make sure they are shiny. Also the grounds where they attach to the block make sure the block is clean and replace any broken star washers.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
New batteries can also be bad. Have it load tested to be sure it's good.