1964 Johnson 40hp Seahorse RK - water pump question

eriklane

Cadet
Does the water pump start immediately or wait for the thermostat? And if it waits, how long can I run this in a barrel safely before it overheats?

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Immediately. Well give it a few seconds to fill up. Whenever the thermostat is closed, there will be some spray out the blowhole in back, and when it opens there will be a heavier spray. But never none. Keep in mind that the thermostat is constantly sampling the temp and opening and closing as necessary to maintain proper templ

mstahl1171

Petty Officer 1st Class
F_R is a wealth of knowlege. With my old Lark IV it takes a few minutes to see the spray. I hold my hand in front of the exhaust for a few seconds....your hand will catch the spray. For me its hard to see until it gets flowing really good. You will also hear the difference in the exhaust sound as the water starts to flow. Does your unit have the hot light hooked up? If it over heats you should see the red "hot" light. As far as how long you can run in a barrel....depends on the size of the barrel. I have a 50 gallon barrel and I've run 30 mins or more with no issues. Just keep the hose in the barrel and set on a slow stream...should be fine to run for hours...:joyous:

eriklane

Cadet
Well I did run it for a min or two, but nothing came out, will check the thermostat but I suspect it's water pump, despite my replacing it some years ago, but hardly use the motor, and I read a post saying to replace them every 2 yrs, so...the manual lays out very specific instructions on OMC sealer and grease, I have none of that, and last time I was in there I remember it was a pain with the wiring...lovely.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Dealing with the wires is actually easier than the mechanical shift linkages.------Just make sure you pull that guide off at the top and attach a " fish line " to pull it back up.---Little bit of grease / oil on the rubber helps a lot too.---In a bucket water must be 6" ABOVE the pump to work.---The pump is not self priming !

Last edited: