2003 johnson 115 no spark

eyeballmike

Cadet
first im sorry if this topic has been covered already.i recently aquired a 2003 baystealth with a 2003 johnson 115 v4.was at the lake on saturday and was running great all morning then without warning it just shuts down in the middle of the lake and wouldnt restart.i was checking for loos connections under dash and ignition switch had broke.so i replaced that yesterday but it has zero spark can someone please direct me in the best direction to start looking.it has fuel and all connections are good the fuse on the motor wire harness is good.im stumped

gm280

Supreme Mariner
:welcome: eyeballmike to iboats...

Did you check the kill switch? I know that seems obvious, but I've seen folks search for a long time before thinking about that. If your kill switch is in the proper switched position, then you need to check the wires from the ignition system to see where the drop out is at. I sure hope it is something simple, because the power pack and stator and such things are pretty expensive to replace...

eyeballmike

Cadet
i did check the kill switch my safety/kill and ignition is one whole unit so i examined the wires and found no chafing or bad spots.i had downloaded the cdi trouble shooting guide and followed the steps that it recommends(unhook black/yellow wire,test stator ect.)but i dont have a dva adaptor still trying to locate one,but i did have power from the stator just over the range of the meter i was using but it did show power coming from the stator but i got nothing from the power pack to the coils.

mstahl1171

Petty Officer 1st Class
Check the ignition switch too. My buddy had a bad one. Boat would start fine and run great....boat would bounce a bit and the motor would shut off. Contacts in the switch were bad. replaced switch...works great. Start the motor and then jiggle your switch and see if the motor cuts off. It may be that simple and is an easy fix

eyeballmike

Cadet
ok encoder wheel was broke. but installed and still got nothing. im down to the ignition trigger or the power pack.what is the possibility of the ignition trigger(optical eye) just going out completely all of a sudden?

Captain Jeff

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have seen the optical sensor go bad. You can take it off and look for dirt/dust/debris on the sensor portion. Also, you can usually look through a translucent epoxy on the bottom that seals the circuit board in. Mine had some corrosion on it even under the epoxy. You said the encoder wheel was broken? Maybe it damaged the sensor while it was spinning?

Also, do not try running the engine with the cover off in the sun, the bright light will cause issues with the sensor.

Last edited:

eyeballmike

Cadet
ok got it running turns out the power pack was bad.but when i started it with ear muffs on it ran great,then i get it out to the lake and it was running great for a while but when i shut it down it doesnt want to restart.when it does restsrt it keeps dying then acts like its choked out after a minute of barely running it will pick up and take off.it didnt do this before power pack went out and the only thing i can think of is i pulled the cover to inspect flywheel and stator and on the right side of engine are two rods on the throttle linkage i had to unhook im wondering if one didnt rotate and not go back in where it was originaly