Broken Gear Case Housing

Guscantrel

Cadet
Hey everyone

First time posting on this site, I am looking for some opinions on my situation with my entire Lower Unit.
I was in an area where water levels had dropped quite a bit and struck something with the front of the gear case housing causeing it to split open and empty all my gear oil out. I didnt actually realize the hole until I arrived at my boat launch 5 minutes later after pulling boat from water. I did strip down lower unit right away to get all water cleaned off gears and bearings with a parts cleaner.

My question to you folks is by looking at these pics there is no issues at all with any of the gears visually, nothing was cracked or chipped away. Is there any reason why I shouldn't just reinstall all these parts into a new gearcase housing with all new gaskets, o rings, and bearings? Let me know your input as I had one neighbor tell me the lack of gear lube could of weakened the gearsets due to higher temps.
2.jpg 1.jpg

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Personally, I'd use them. I don't think they got hot enough to draw the heat treat, with water in there.

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral
Not overheating in 5 minutes of operation with "ram-powered" water cooling. :)

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I agree with the above comments. No way they heated up with water flowing over them. I would certainly reuse them myself. As for the foot casing, that is another story. If you can't have it welded back properly, then replace the casing... JMHO!

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Gee, I would look for a new gearcase. SEI sells them for less than $1K. I would expect your bearings are bad, and who knows what other parts were ruined by water lubrication. A replacement would be bolt on.

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral
Gee, I would look for a new gearcase. SEI sells them for less than $1K. I would expect your bearings are bad, and who knows what other parts were ruined by water lubrication. A replacement would be bolt on.

Not sure what model or HP we have here (useful info) but I'd be surprised if the bearings suffered from the experience....mainly because of the quick disassembly.

If it were mine I'd price a new or used housing and new seals/gaskets...then compare that to good used LUs, and new LUs.

Guscantrel

Cadet
Thanks for all replies so far. Its a 1992 90HP Evinrude V4 Model #VE90TLEND.
Having a hard time thus far trying to find a used gearcase in my area from boat repair places, might have to start looking on ebay more, or if there is other trusted websites you people know of let me know. Thanks

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Thanks for all replies so far. Its a 1992 90HP Evinrude V4 Model #VE90TLEND.
Having a hard time thus far trying to find a used gearcase in my area from boat repair places, might have to start looking on ebay more, or if there is other trusted websites you people know of let me know. Thanks

If you can't fine such a piece and the actual breakout didn't damage the internal sections, you could get a competent welding shop to manufacture such a piece and weld it back in... Just an option. I'd look for a replacement, but keep that in the back of my mine as well... JMHO!

Guscantrel

Cadet
I am located in New Brunswick, Canada. I have posted wanted ads on Kijiji and just this morning I was contacted by someone who has an 1988 Johnson gearcase. Anyone know how I can reference what years will fit my 1992 90HP Evinrude V4?

Guscantrel

Cadet
so this is a 1988 90hp evinrude gearcase that has bad gearset but case just needs some fresh paint

model # ve88mslccc
my motor model # ve90tlend

this item is 2 hrs away but appears like it will work and hold all my gearset assembly the same. im looking for educated opinions on if this case should work for me with no issues

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    153.2 KB · Views: 0

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral
If it were me, I would print a list of parts for both gearcases and compare.