9.9 Nissan issues

goblerblaster

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I just purchased a 1997 Nissan model NS9.9D 2 stroke and it is running rough. I tore down the carb and cleaned it well. all the gaskets were good, jets were open, and orifices open as best I can tell by shooting carb cleaner through them. The motor will start easily, but I have to keep feathering the throttle to keep it running. When it starts to die at idle, I can rev the throttle and it revs up without hesitation. NOW, I take it to the lake for the first run after carb cleaning and it has the same low idle issue so I rev it up and it won't open up all the way. Maybe gets to half throttle and won't do anymore.

I read that a float that is out of adjustment can cause this type of problem. So, I take the carb apart again and find that the part that holds the needle valve to the float is made of plastic- or nylon. I don't see anyway to adjust float height- even though it looks pretty close to level when carb body is turned upside down.

Is this a part that must be replaced if the adjustment is incorrect, or is there a way to adjust it? It does not appear to be damaged.

I have taken the fuel pump apart and the diaphrams look good so I think it is pumping fuel.

Also, is there supposed to be an o-ring inside the fuel connector from the tank to where it plugs onto the front of the motor? This one is a round metal connector- I am talking about the connector that stays on the tank fuel line when you disconnect the line from where it connects to the front of the motor

Any ideas will be appreciated

pvanv

Admiral
Start by cleaning the carb Correctly. Carb spray is not aggressive enough.
If the float is parallel, the height is correct.
Check proper linkage adjustments.
Verify timing, and confirm correct resistance of all electrical components.

goblerblaster

Petty Officer 2nd Class
What do you suggest for cleaning a carb with? Is there supposed to be a vent somewhere on this carb? There is a "post" with a hole in it off the carb bowl that points upward and I cant get any air to blow through it. I drilled it out a little and some stuff was coming out- looked like either sand or plastic, but I still cant get air thru it and I can tell by measuring the depth with the drill bit that I am as low as I think I should go.

Also, is there supposed to be an o-ring on the gas line connector that hooks to the front of the motor?

Thanks

pvanv

Admiral
Carb dip, available at auto parts houses. Soak at least 4 hours. Then blow out with generic carb spray.
Don't get a drill bit anywhere near a carb.
Venting is under the top plate of the carb.
The fuel inlet connector doesn't have an o-ring on the outside of it; the o=ring is inside the female connector on the primer hose.

Attachments

• 002-21043-4_FIG04.JPG
    002-21043-4_FIG04.JPG
    89.9 KB · Views: 1
  • 002-21043-4_FIG14.JPG
    002-21043-4_FIG14.JPG
    50.7 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

goblerblaster

Petty Officer 2nd Class
o-ring maybe my problem.... This connector does not have one in it , so it may be sucking in air. Thanks..