90 HP Honda,hard cold start, rough idle and stalls, any help?

Gixxer1000

Recruit
I have just acquired a 90 HP 4 stroke, I am not for sure what year it is and model number? The first time it ran it went great, was a little hard to start cold and thought it may have been me not priming enough, after the first start it started great, just a bump and it was off. The second time out it started harder cold, barely started and I had to give it 1/4 throttle to get it going while cranking, then it still started hard the rest of the day, I had to give it the 1/4 throttle to get it going. It shakes and sputters at idle and now stalls and will not idle. I added a can of sea foam to a full 27 gal tank and ran it wide open for quite a long time with no change. I am using and it has always had non ethanol fuel. Problem is there is NO Honda dealer for quite a while around here in NW Vermont, any suggestions?

hondam

Petty Officer 1st Class
Dirty carbs, need special tools to adjust them after cleaned. A yamaha dealer should be able to fix you up. I say yamaha because they use a similar induction system on the 4 strokes which uses the same tools. If someone does not have experience with 4 strokes they will probably do more harm thenot good.

Honda does not recommend sea foam in their engines. It is too corrosive for their carbs. I would dilute it as much as possible or even drain it and use it in a different vehicle.

joetheis

Petty Officer 1st Class
Here is something you MIGHT be able to do........
IF, you can get at the drain plugs at the bottom of the carb bowl, take them out, let the fuel drain into a CLEAN rag, (I use a rag with a white papertowel over the top).
Lookie at the stuff that comes out, and dirt? white flakes etc., (this tells you IF there is any junk in there).
Then take some carb cleaner and spray into the bowl.
You might be able to get the clean that way.
Will be a pain to start with the cleaner and gas, but it'll fire.
If it were mine I'd add MORE Sea Foam too, a can does 25? gallons, I'd do a can and a half maybe.
I try new spark plugs too, who know what shape they are in.
I did this to my 'Rude 70 a few years back.
I use "Sea Foam" on a regular diet, as well as my buddy with a '92? Honda 90.
Like "American Express", we don't leave home without it!
He trolls all day with his 90, runs all over the St. Lawrence, never a issue with the S.F.
Just putting that out there................
Joe
Take any advice I give with a can of beer er 2!

Last edited:

MattFL

Master Chief Petty Officer
Definitely a carburetor issue. Clean and resync them. Any good 4 stroke knowledgeable shop should be able to do it. I recently had the same issue on my Honda and did the work myself, fixed the issue entirely.