9.8HP Tohatsu Installation questions when buying new.

DocTide

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Friend of mine is going to buy a new 9.8HP remote model Tohatsu. He has to get it installed at the dealer, he asked me a question on whether or not it must be bolted through the transom for installation at the dealer. I did not know. He says he does NOT want it through bolted because it is stored outdoors and he wants to be able to take the engine off and store in a garage to help prevent theft. Is this something that can be done? He has a metal center console that has adjustable heights, and he can slide the entire piece off where the wheel and cables would be mounted to. He also mentioned looking to buy a power trim/tilt bracket in the future which would further his desire not to have it through bolted. Anyone here have an idea?

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
If don't like having it bolted to transom, just remove remote steering linkage from engine along gear and throttle linkages and voil?, reinstall same when going boating again. If dealer says engine must be bolted, you can always unbolt while at home, no issue.

Happy Boating

Last edited:

DocTide

Petty Officer 2nd Class
He doesn't want holes in his transom. I'll have to talk to him. Seems like he's upset you have to permanently mount a portable engine. Heh.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Ask dealer if he can skip the issue about bolting engine to transom ? If so, much faster to remove al remote linkages and engine and avoid passer by thieves temptations. Plain portable and remote are different stories.

Happy Boating

Last edited:

DocTide

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I am going to bump this in case a Tohatsu dealer might be here. I have called around and none of the service departments can give me a definitive answer. Perhaps they dont understand what I am asking. My buddy wants the remote model 9.8HP installed on his 13ft skiff without bolting through. Seems practical to me but for some reason he and I cannot get a good answer. Anyone who works for Tohatsu on here?

pvanv

Admiral
We would not REQUIRE it, but if he loses it overboard, that's his problem. FWIW, mine is not bolted, but cannot fall of due to how it's mounted in a sailboat lazarette.

DECK SWABBER 58

Lieutenant Commander
I bought a new 9.8 remote last year from my local dealer, they loaded the motor in the cardboard box into the back of my Suburban with a fork lift and sent me on my way. That said, the service manager knows me well and knows that I have the ability to install the motor properly myself. I noticed that if you buy one online they will only ship a remote motor to your nearest dealer, that is due to the steering and control box hook-up liability.

As far as bolting, the owners manual recommends it and the proper bolts are included with the motor but it is not mandatory. I did bolt mine on my pontoon just because it seems like a good idea. Would hate to watch my brand new motor sink to the bottom of the lake. As far as taking it off I can zip the nuts and bolts off with my cordless dewalt impact in about 60 seconds. I would tell your friend to crank the clamps down tight and go have fun. He could also put one of those anti theft locks over the clamp handles, that way they can't back off.

DocTide

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks everyone, will let him know. Do any of you know the bolt size? He is thinking about just getting a clamp locks and a custom nut like the McGaud nuts. It shows a 5/16"- does that sound correct?

pvanv

Admiral
It's metric, of course. Could be 6 mm or 8 mm... I forget.