Rough idle after Carb Rebuild on Tohatsu 18 HP 4 stroke

barkleydave

Recruit
I imagine this has been covered somewhere in this vast data base but I could not find it.

I have a 2006 Tohatsu 18 HP 4 stroke with electric start. It has been a good motor but also a finicky carb. I finally got tired of fighting the staring battle and tore the carb down. What a varnished up mess. (my fault for running so long without attention.

Ok to make the story short and simple... I had it off several times cleaning etc. I then replaced jets, and metering tube etc. Put it back together and VAROOM off she went ran like I had stole it! EXCEPT... idle was crappy.... rough and could not gently increase speed at low rpms with out it rpms riding up. Pain for trolling or no wake zones.

I thought I had cover everything! NOPE.

This is easy to miss and easier to fix!

Remember I said I had the carb off several times? Well not just the carb but the intake manifold. On mine that is the easiest way to get the carb off. Impossible to get the bolts out of the silencer. (Besides the intake was really filthy with gummed up old fuel)

So after several runs I decided it must be an air leak somewhere.

I took some carb cleaner and lightly sprayed around the intake manifold gasket. GEE IT WENT INSTANTLY RICH AND STARTED TO DIE!

BINGO WE HAVE A WINNER! I check the other gaskets and fuel lines and no issues.

Ok new intake manifold gasket and it will be purring at idle like new :)

I should have ordered a new gasket when I ordered all the other stuff... but it looked good.... LOL

Last edited:

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
That's a o'ring rubber type or paperboard like gasket ? If you remove carb or manifold intake several times in a row, is a must have spares along changing it.

Happy Boating

barkleydave

Recruit
It is a thick paper and yup need to change. I knew that but figured it looked good. Gee after over 50 years messing with outboards you would think I would have known that.. LOL

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Some time we think we know what we're doing, and some times that's true. But then there are those other times...:facepalm: But you know now and therefore a learning issue... :thumb:

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
In such cases where you don't count with a spare paper gasket, a thin layer of Mega Gray silicone at both sides of worn gasket would seal well.

Happy Boating