Starter solenoid or starter bad on Nissan 18?

mickjetblue

Chief Petty Officer
When I reactivated my 18hp Nissan after 6 years of inactivity, I had to do some cranking.

So, now my electric starting ran out of starting power...

I have determined, via VOM, that the starter button is ok and the 20A fuse is ok.

Can anybody clue me in on how to determine whether I need a new solenoid or a new starter?

It runs great, and starts on the 1st or 2nd pull manually, so all is not lost.

Thanks.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
First question, is your battery charged up perfectly? You talked about cranking and you could have run down the battery. So verify the battery is fully charged. Then if you still can't get it to crank. Check both the positive AND ground battery connections at the battery AND the engine to make sure they are clean shiny metal connection that are tight. Amazing how many folks casually look at connections and assume they are good only to find out later, after hours of trouble shooting, that the ground was corroded between the connector and casing. If all that is good then take a jumper cable and go from the positive terminal on the battery straight to the starter. If the starter spins over, replace the solenoid...

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
You need at least a 12V-40 AH battery for that 18. If less change it, if more than 40 AH the better.

Happy Boating

mickjetblue

Chief Petty Officer
I will admit that I had a "battery connection" that was only snug tight, and that was the problem.

I had also just installed and tested a new 6 gang fuse block for lights, etc.

Thanks for saving me from further aggravations.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I will admit that I had a "battery connection" that was only snug tight, and that was the problem.

I had also just installed and tested a new 6 gang fuse block for lights, etc.

Thanks for saving me from further aggravations.

Great to hear you found your problem and equally great you took the time to respond back here as well. That is how we all learn from each other when folks respond back to what was their problem... :thumb: