Choke Queston

flumdog

Cadet
Hi: I have a 2014 Tohatsu 9.8hp 4-stroke I've found recently doesn't need much, if any, choke during a cold start. Sometimes it doesn't even want to start with the choke pulled out all the way, or it will start and I'll need to push the choke in quickly to keep in running. Nevertheless it usually starts first pull and runs strong. Just seems weird, and seems to be behaving differently than I remember from last year.

Does that sound like a problem? Maybe a carb adjustment of some type?

Thanks in advance.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Are you starting engine following Owner's Manual starting procedures ? What's the weather like in your area, cold, warm. Have you done minimal maintenance to that engine since you have it. Clean fuel filters, tank, plugs, etc.

Happy Boating

flumdog

Cadet
Yep, I'm starting it by the book. Boat is on the Maine coast -- salt water, 50's at night, 70's during the day recently. It was dealer serviced at the end of last season but I haven't done anything to it yet this season. Tank is good. I'll take a look at the fuel filter and plugs.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Don't know if I would look for anything wrong as long as it's starting up so easy. I'd bet during a really cold morning, that coke would have to be used... I wouldn't look for any problem(s) for an easy to start engine. I would enjoy it while it lasts... JMHO!