Nissan 15hp float needle parts

islander9

Seaman Apprentice
Hello folk's, I have a real low hours 15hp Nissan model NS15B2 that needs a new float needle and I am reading that the part may be obsolete. How can this possibly be the case given the engine is only a 1992 model???
With the volume of these engines around I'm hoping to find someone who has found an alternative needle to fit, or an aftermarket source that will meet the need.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral
It's over 20 years old...Why would you be surprised that not all parts are available? There have been 6 or 7 model changes since then. Each time an engine changes design manufacturers stop unique part production as they don't need large volumes of non production parts anymore. I know its disappointing that' it works that way in the modern world, but that's just the way it is. Also you have to keep in mind that sub vendors, like in the case of carb parts, stop producing when the big numbers drop off and the manufacturers are screwed along with the end users. Its a crappy world compared to 50 years ago when manufacturers kept inventory and production going for years.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Maybe you can find another model engine that still has parts available and use one of those carb needles. OR what brand carb is on your engine? You could possible contact the manufacture of the carb to see if they have such a part. And unless the needle is totally trashed, you could also redress the needle taper and reuse it. Also another carb that is similar to yours could have a needle you could use. JMHO!

islander9

Seaman Apprentice
I am very surprised something as common and as low cost to stock is not available from Tohatsu.
An engine is by no means old at 20 years around these parts of northern Ontario and to be forced to retire an engine for a simple maintenance part is downright sinister on the part of Tohatsu.

Virtually every maintenance component and almost every other wear part is still readily available for Merc's and OMC's going back much further than 1992. I recently restored an early 80's 15 Johnson and all the parts were available including head gasket, thermostat, carb kit, lower unit seal kit.....all the usual maintenance parts one would need to keep an engine going for years to cme.

This has me riled up because I see this as a manufacture not supporting those who supported them. To be forced to retire a perfectly good engine for this reflects very badly on Tohatsu, such that I would not even consider their products in the future.

The dealer has said the needle is obsolete, would anyone happen to know of another make/model needle that has been used as an alternative?
I have what I believe is called the round float bowl carb on engine serial 351A1-1 83642

Last edited:

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Check with Boats dot Net, they stock old parts....fingers crossed on the one you're looking after.

Happy Boating