Electrical issue, I'm STUMPED. Honda 15hp, 1997

vcaptain

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have this Honda 15hp with electric start. About a week ago I was going to go fishing, so the night before I tested the motor, started right up and ran fine. The next day I go to start it and nothing, not a sound.

I have the owners manual and have tried all the things they suggest. I tested the starter relay, works fine, the start button works fine. The stop did not not test right, so I replaced it, no difference. Battery is deep cycle and has 12.73v. There is no N switch on this motor. The starter has 0v when I press the start button.

The relay has 12.4v, when I press the start button it drops to 0, and I get a click. A single click. Once or twice the starter motor engaged, but very weak, it didn't even engage the flywheel.

Any ideas?

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Sounds like you have a starter solenoid gone bad. Try jumping from the positive battery terminal to the starter. If that spins it over good, then replace the starter solenoid...

vcaptain

Petty Officer 1st Class
Sounds like you have a starter solenoid gone bad. Try jumping from the positive battery terminal to the starter. If that spins it over good, then replace the starter solenoid...

Thank you gm280! I just walked out there and jumped it, starter works fine, you were right, Funny, the manual had me remove the solenoid, hook it to battery and then do a continuity test, saying that if it passed it was fine. So I did that and moved on to the next thing. I appreciate the help, time to order a solenoid.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Thank you gm280! I just walked out there and jumped it, starter works fine, you were right, Funny, the manual had me remove the solenoid, hook it to battery and then do a continuity test, saying that if it passed it was fine. So I did that and moved on to the next thing. I appreciate the help, time to order a solenoid.

Ha great to see you've found your problem. And thanks for coming back here to post it so others can learn from your experiences as well... That is the only way we all can learn on these forums... :thumb:

vcaptain

Petty Officer 1st Class
I love this forum, it has helped me, a first time boat owner learn a tremendous amount of information. Now I have two boats and 7 outboards.

vcaptain

Petty Officer 1st Class
Got the new solenoid today, put it in, and NOTHING, same problem. Any ideas?