Early model 3.5 hp Tohatsu starting issue

Ksamp51

Recruit
Hello all, I have an early model M3.5A Tohatsu motor. The thing just will not catch fire. I pretty well have it narrowed down to the points and condenser, The problem I have is trying to find points and condenser for this motor. I have looked all over the internet and cannot find anything for it. If anyone could tell me where I could find these parts it would be much appreciated! Thanks to all.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Are you shure that on actual situation engine doesn't produce a spark when plug is grounded to crankcase while rope is pulled, or you are just assuming so ? Is kill cord attached to switch, plug is in good shape, have good fresh fuel mixture, carb is receiving gas from fuel **** that should be immaculate clean inside. If being the point the culprit, Is it still possible to file evenly with sandpaper the old point, adjust to specs and start the engine ?

Happy Boating

Ksamp51

Recruit
So I tried Napa, they all but laughed at me. @ Sea Rider, I took the carb completely apart and cleaned all the jets, the float, bowl. Replaced fuel line, using a new tank. I have replaced the spark plug. The points themselves are not that bad. I have an inline spark tester, the first 3 pulls the spark is really strong, then it consistently dies gets less and less spark. The 10th or 11th pull there is virtually no spark. That is why I'm leaning condenser. I just figured if I replace the condenser I would replace the points as well. If I could swap the thing to electronic ignition I would do that too. But, don't know if that will be possible or economical. If you have any other suggestions or thoughts please let me know. Thanks in advance!

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Sorry can't help. Don't even know the point & condenser model, we only work with newer 3.5B2 models. Check boats dot net, Tohatsu parts, probably have them.

Happy Boating