Honda 10 HP year and parts question

Seahorse16

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I was given a 10 HP Honda outboard that has a bad powerhead. The serial number is B1008031. I have scoured the internet looking for the year number but nothing. Anybody know??? Based on pictures my guess was 1979 but the guy who gave it to me swore it was a 1984. Sorry I only have a picture of the cowling in the back of my truck.

Also, are any pre-1997 honda parts all the same? And are 7.5, 10 and 15 HP parts all the same (besides the carbs)?

Any insight would be much appreciated. Can't believe how little info there is on Honda's compared to the OMC's I've worked on....

Attachments

• photo221859.jpg
    photo221859.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 0

Seahorse16

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hey, thanks! 1978 it is! For some reason I could not find that thread.

Anyone know what years/motor size have interchangable parts?

ANYONE HAVE A POWERHEAD THEY WANT TO SELL?

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
For the year it is you would probably be able to find a running engine for the same or close to the same price as a power head.

Seahorse16

Petty Officer 3rd Class
No Title

Apparently you've never shopped for motors in MT, MTboatguy! ;) Here is the identical one and the dude is asking $750. Not that he will get anywhere near that, but still. NADA value is still $600 and motors here sell close to that. This isn't Minnesota...

Attachments

• photo222046.png
    photo222046.png
    773.3 KB · Views: 0

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Seahorse, I have shopped for a lot of motors in MT, in fact I have 11 different motors hanging on the rack right now ranging from 2 hp to 125 hp, they might be asking $750, but they will never get it. What in the heck does Minnesota have to do with it?. You might pay $600 for a 1978 10 hp boat motor, but I wouldn't and I don't know many who would in my neck of the woods.

I just checked on our local craigslist and there is 3 10(9.9) hp Honda's right now, one is a 1980 asking is $400, a 1981 asking is $375 and a 1979 asking is $325

Last edited:

Seahorse16

Petty Officer 3rd Class
No Title

Funny thing MTboatguy I haven't seen any other Honda's on CL for months, but I'll take your word for it. Here is another just posted asking $750! Like I mentioned above, I never said they'd get that price, or that I'd pay anything like that.

In case you didn't know, the midwest, especially Minnesota has a lot of lakes! That means there are a lot of boats and lots inventory. That means there are always a ton of boats and motors people are selling. Nearly all my friends have driven out to MN to buy their marine stuff and paid 1/2 what you could pay here, even after the gas.

Don't worry, I don't charge to educate folks.

Attachments

• photo222134.png
    photo222134.png
    818.1 KB · Views: 0

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Funny thing MTboatguy I haven't seen any other Honda's on CL for months, but I'll take your word for it. Here is another just posted asking $750! Like I mentioned above, I never said they'd get that price, or that I'd pay anything like that.

In case you didn't know, the midwest, especially Minnesota has a lot of lakes! That means there are a lot of boats and lots inventory. That means there are always a ton of boats and motors people are selling. Nearly all my friends have driven out to MN to buy their marine stuff and paid 1/2 what you could pay here, even after the gas.

Don't worry, I don't charge to educate folks.

Your not educating me, I live by one of the largest lakes west of the Mississippi and we also have lots of boats out here, in a state with a little over a million people in it, there is over 500K boats registered in MT, Lots of them in Idaho, Wyoming and Washington as well, we have a great amount of inventory in my area, now we can keep on with the pissing match and smart aleck answers, but in my area, I would not and don't know many who would pay those prices. As far as Minnesota, I am quite aware of the lakes, I have fished many of them and normally visit at least once a year as I have lots of friends in that area. Honda and Tohatsu engines are quite common in my area.