honda stowing and care...

mforrest

Cadet
greetings,

i'm thinking of buying a new 2015 honda 4 stroke 9.9. i take VERY good care of my equipment and am especially concerned about stowing it while transporting it to and from the fishing grounds up to 8 hrs and overnighting before i hang it on the skiff... i have secured a special four wheel dolly just for this use. i have no problem storing the motor upright in my garage when not in use... but it is the transporting in the back of my pickup truck that concerns me... so much so that i may not purchase and outboard that can't lay on it's side... so hopefully someone can definitively answer this question... can i strap it to my dolly and leave it on it's side (the correct side according to the manual) without having to drain the oil? if i have to drain and replace the oil every trip then the motor no matter how good the reviews is not worth it to me.... i've read all kinds of conflicting reports about this and of course the honda dealers i've talked to say it's ok but they want the motor sold and out the door... any enlightenment about outboard care and specifically the honda mentioned would be welcomed.

thanks!

Last edited:

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Welcome to Iboats,

You could strap engine to dolly and maintain same lying position stated on Owner's Manual or bolt dolly to pick up trunk and sit engine at vertical position for the whole trip.

Happy Boating

Last edited:

mforrest

Cadet
thanks sea rider,

that's exactly what i'm going to do... strap the motor to a dolly and lay it flat in my pickup on the correct side... the manual states that to do so you must drain the oil... what i want to know is if this is so what will the effects be if YOU DON'T DRAIN THE OIL? for up to 24hrs, to and from a fishing trip. is there a honda tech rep that will answer this question? in detail?

thanks again.

hondam

Petty Officer 1st Class
Ive done this many times, One side has bumpers and the other does not. If you lay it on the side with the bumpers then you will not have any issues without any preventative measures, If you need to lay it on the opposite side the oil must be drained.

I work on a lot of Honda Yamaha and Mercury 4 strokes. You will not dissappointed, the Honda is by far the best 10 on the market, much smoother and quieter then the others with more features.