BF8 dies after a few minutes. Help appreciated.

ancan

Cadet
Hi everyone!
I recently bought a -99 BF8A (the flat top) that was really cheap because it needed some work: Cracked lower swivel bracket, and a handle-bar that came off all the time, both easy fixes. The seller also said the engine stops after running a while. It's been running in brackish/fresh water.

As I got the engine, I cleaned the carb thoroughly (not the factory sealed nozzles though) and fixed the other stuff. I've also read about stuck thermostat being a common issue with these engine so I replaced that one as well (yes, it was stuck open), and also the inlet/outlet gaskets which came apart when I removed them.

I've been running it in a barrel for at least 1 hour total. It starts in max two pulls, and it's been running really nice with no idling issues and smooth in every RPM. So this weekend i tried it on the boat, and it ran great for about 4-5 minutes after which it died. It didn't just cut of, but revved down to nothing in about 3-4 seconds. One pull on the starter and it ran again, but died after a few seconds. It got harder and harder to start and after the third time it needed choke to get it running, but even with choke it died after a few moments. It feels like it's fuel starvation but cannot be sure.

When I got home I put it in the barrel again. I immediately checked the sparks and they were kind of medium ash-grey. The engine was still grumpy, hard to get running. and when it ran it wouldn't rev, so I checked the fuel pump and filter (no problems, with a pulsating stream of fuel from the filter). I drained the float chamber which was full, and blew into fuel line (bubbling sound, no blockage).
After some more pulling the engine idled again and very soon it ran as normal.

Since it does run fine in a barrel, it seems the problem appears when the engine have to do some actual work. Overheating seems to be out of the question since there's a strong stream from the tell-tale and the engine was cool, but still not running well, when I got home.

Anyone got any ideas where to continue troubleshooting? Any tips much appreciated.

isaksp00

Petty Officer 1st Class
I'm not a mechanic, but I seem to recall a post like this and one suggestion was to see if there were any exhaust leaks that would fill the area under the cover. Maybe see if it runs fine on the boat with the cover off?

ancan

Cadet
I'm not a mechanic, but I seem to recall a post like this and one suggestion was to see if there were any exhaust leaks that would fill the area under the cover. Maybe see if it runs fine on the boat with the cover off?

Hmm, I guess since it produces a lot more exhaust gasses at load it might explain why it still runs in a barrel, but not why it still would be so cranky when back in the barrel. However, next time in the boat I'll definitely try to run it without cover.

I'm now thinking it might be water in the fuel that the pickup tube doesn't reach when the tank is flat on the ground, but in the boat with the tank tilted it does. Easy to simulate in the barrel. But then again, the seller said the engine dies after a while, and he's been running with a different tank and probably not water in the gas.

ancan

Cadet
Solved: Problem disappeared when I put the engine on a larger boat. I guess it just was submerged to much on the tiny 10.5' I tested it on.