Float lift and drop?

WWWoody

Cadet
I need to know the two specs for the float in my Nissan NSF 4A2D 4HP 4 Stroke. Please help me, and thank you in advance.

WWWoody

Cadet
I see now that I ask for this well over a year ago. I said I got it running so it has to be over 3. It has been cleaned (DE varnished) in a dip now and just level to the casting does not work. My Mechanic told me I need these two specs. Level (lift) and Drop.

Last edited:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Can you blow air through the fuel inlet while the carb is upside down? If so then maybe it isn't the float but the needle and seat that are bad... Just a suggestion...:noidea:

WWWoody

Cadet
By level to the casting I meant the end of the float. There is a seam across the bottom that would bring the whole float parallel to the casting and make more sense because there is no way you can get the whole float level to the casting. It is a metal hinge which I will assume makes this adjustment possible? I will mess it up so I will let my mechanic do it. If that doesn't work it must be a bad needle and seat? I can't tell if I am getting air threw the gas intake or not. It is a very small hole. Also I guess I should assume there is no lift and drop specs?

Last edited:

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Before bending hinge if you haven't done so, would rather check needle tip and seat condition. Tip must be sharp pointy, if round or angle shapped it's kaput, install a new one. Check if seat is removable or non removable on that carb model, if so change both. If already have messed with float hinge angle will need to put it back to specs or buy a new float as well.

Happy Boating

WWWoody

Cadet
Thank you all for your fast, solid advise, Sometimes a friend needs to hear the truth. I will keep you informed.

Harness The Wind
woody

WWWoody

Cadet
The carb is off again. The last time a man took it apart and told me I don't need a rebuild kit. The needle and seat looked good and he got a lot of crap out of somewhere. That got me from not getting gas, to a flood of gas. Now I am back to my mech. to adjust the float with his pliers for that job. Wish me luck, and again thank you for your help.

Harness The Wind
woody