Water Separator.-

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
A friend of mine who has a J-24 sailboat wants to install a water separatorr system for his 2 strokes 18 HP OB. Have seen WS on larger 30 & higher HP engines. Is there an issue for a small fuel pump diaphragm to work driving fuel through a water separator as opposed to larger HP fuel pumps ?

Happy Boating

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
GS,

Which water separator type have you installed, the one with replaceable filters or the one with a glass bowl under in wich you drain water out of it ? Should primer bulb be located before or after water separator ?

Happy Boating

pvanv

Admiral
The Unikas (sold by Tohatsu America) has both a clear bowl and replaceable element. It also has a red floating ring (if water does get in) and a drain ****. Install it between the motor and the bulb, as close to the motor as reasonable. Works great on my NSF9.8A3.

robert graham

Admiral
Walmart carries an Attwood fuel/water separator for about $28, easy to install....I like mine on the transom After the primer bulb so I can use the primer bulb to refill the filter after dumping/changing the cartridge....these filters are really great preventive maintenance for outboards. For a small outboard the cartridge could last for several years before replacing it. Whenever I've replaced mine I've hack-sawed the old one just to see what was inside and each time the internals and filter media looked pretty much like new....New cartridges at Walmart are about $8.....good luck!

Georgesalmon

Lieutenant Commander
I have a replaceable filter one. Picked up from my son. Was a salesmans sample, says Yamaha on it. My primer bulb is before the filter because they pump gas much better than air.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
In the standard replaceable filter system how can you tell when the filter is water full ? When full, will the the filter outpass the trapped water and keep delivering contaminated fuel/water to carb ? Ideal would be to install the one with a clear bowl if possible to get it down here.

So 2 alternatives :

Engine, water separator, primer bulb,

Engine, primer bulb, water separator.

Does the water separator comes with any indication for a correct installation ?

Happy Boating

robert graham

Admiral
If there's a lot of water in your tank/fuel system then by all means get a filter with the clear plastic drainable bowl....My 12 gallon tank may have 3 or 4 drops of water in it....not enough to overfill the cartridge....

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
I'm new to fuel/water separators systems, on portable tanks, when encountering more amount of water than just droplets on disposable filter systems , how can you tell when filter if already overfilled, engine will start missing due to water being delivered with fuel ?

Happy Boating