Honda BF90D Engine stalls above 3000 RPM (Please send some ideas my way)

matt28

Recruit
Hello,
I have a 2008-2009 not totally sure (BEBCJ-1009716) BF90D engine on a pontoon. The engine starts fine and idles great. However, when going past 3000 RPM the engine starts stalling. The boat has been sitting for a while before I purchased. When idling it up in neutral it seems to do fine. Also, after changing the fuel line from the tank and shaking the tank a bit, it had full power for about 30 seconds before returning to stalling above 3000 RPM. Any ideas to solve this frustration?

Last edited:

hondam

Petty Officer 1st Class
Dirty fuel system. You can confirm this with either a fuel pressure gauges (should be stable at about 40psi I dont remember exactly but its about 40, if there is a problem you will see the needle flickering drasitcally) or if you have access to a HDS or Dr H the ST fuel trim will be elevated most likely above 1.10 (it should be 1.00 anything above about 1.05 is elevated). Its easy to change on that motor, just 3 screws but the filter is pricey if i remember right its about $40.

Last edited:

matt28

Recruit
As far as I know it does not. I just cleaned the filter that was mentioned above and I'm going to see if it makes any difference. It had a lot of debris that came out of it.

hondam

Petty Officer 1st Class
The filter is not meant to be cleaned, ive tried it too when i didnt have a filter on hand only saw a minor improvement, it really should be replaced. Running it without the filter is a bad idea also.

matt28

Recruit
It was a dirty fuel system for sure, I changed out tanks, fuel lines, normal fuel filter and it still did it until I changed the fuel filter element or also referred to as the high pressure fuel filter and it fixed the problem! Part 16911-ZY3-010 on my 09 Honda BF90D. Thank you for the intel Hondam