What oil to use

kevinwd1

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I?m currently using gulf western TC-W3 2 stroke oil for my 2006 25hp Tohatsu outboard. It?s half the price of quicksilver 2 stroke oil but is it worth using a cheaper oil? There are so many different oils out there it gets a bit confusing what is the best oil to use for my outboard. What oil do most people use? I bought this motor 1 year ago and am about to give it a service .I've bought a water pump repair kit and a new fuel filter. I will also replace spark plugs and spray some Johnson engine tuner down the carb and let it soak overnight after spraying it into the top of the cylinders. I will also replace gear box oil and that it.Is there anything else I should do ​Regards Kevin

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Why would you need to spray power tuner (decarbonizer) on top pistons ? what you need to do is remove carb silencer, start and warm engine throtttle to fast idle and squirt small bursts of power tuner, engine will begin to miss, repeat several times, don't let engine die by over spraying. Tthrottle to 2500 rpm and give one last long spray untill engine dies. Let soak all the time you want but 2 hours is more than enough.

After soaking ends, remove plugs and pull rope several times, put new plugs gapped tight to 1.0 mm and start the engine, will smoke hard. After warming engine for 2 minutes, go for a wot spin full throttle as if stealing the boat for at least 1-2 minutes. Engine should idle even and smooth afterwords. Power Tuner does wonders to 2 swtroke engines while being used regularly, suggested every 100 worked hours. Love this product, I'm a regular user.

Why don't you pass that 25 to a 30 HP for peanuts cost...

Happy Boating

Last edited:

kevinwd1

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks Sea Rider, will follow your instructions on decarbing motor .I have converted to 30hp and generally drive at wot as I?m always in a hurry. The top speed of the boat (13ft Tinny) is around 45 to 47 kph (28mph) which I'm quite happy with, not sure if 30hp could go much quicker?

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
A 30 HP is a 30 HP if yours was well timed advanced to 25? at wot. Have you tached that horse ? If liking going fast getting the hell out of a chasing tornado with a tach can go for a prop maximization to put you at or around 5850 factory stated wot rpm for that engine. What's your current boat type, was that top metered speed with you alone and lightly loaded combo? if so, 45-47 Km/h is bit slow for a 30 HP. I'm doing 41.5 Km/h with an 18 HP on a 450 Mt, 400 Kg combo.

When appying power tuner as suggested, do it in forward gear for the engine to rev with some load, just be aware of spinning prop and stay away from prop if with people around back engine.

Happy Boating

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
De carb with engine on and forward gear if engine sits on an engine stand while being flushed on muffs, in neutral if combo is on water. Don't use a barrel, water will turrn out extreme oily & messy and hard to dispose off properly.

Happy Boating