5hp Runs Great For 20 min. Then Dies

truhl_58

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 2002 5hp.runs great trolling for about 20min.then acts like it is loading up then dies. I restart the motor runs a little then dies. Does it every time I use it. After it died today I felt the cover and it felt warm to hot, I left the cover off and it ran perfect all the rest of the day, never missed a lick. Cover seams air tight I don't know how it can breath. Leave it off and it's grest.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Maybe It isn't so much starving for air as it is ingesting the exhaust into the carb and dying. When you troll, the engine could be pulling exhaust into the carb and eventually dying. Then you remove the cowling and it can get fresher air and keep running... IDK, just an idea. :noidea:
:

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Assume you had that engine from new ? if so, was it well water flushed after use specially if boating on salt waters ? Is peing strong, have you changed water pump kit or impeller since new ? Engines with high salt formations inside all water paths heats more than flushed engines. Salt doesn't let heat dissipate faster...

Happy Boating

truhl_58

Seaman Apprentice
It is peing, almost a steady stream while troling, never even warm water always cold. No the motor is new to me but has seen almost no time. As far as I know the impeller has never been changed but with a good pee stream and no warm water I did not think it needed it. Ran the motor again today and it did the same thing died after 20min. took the cover off and it ran for 3 more hrs.. Almost acted like it vapor locked?? Water was 48deg. Lake is 7000ft. Wind calm, temp 60deg.

Last edited:

pvanv

Admiral
Can we get the manufacturer and actual model? Probably an exhaust leak if it's a Honda.