New 20hp Tohatsu Service and Inspect?

GMLSX

Cadet
I ordered a new Toahtsu 20 online because all my local dealers said from 2 weeks to 45 days to get one. Online I'll have it in less than a week.

Should I take this motor in for inspection, servicing and start up a friendship with a local dealer, or will it be great out of the box with some oil added?

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Boxed engines sometimes comes with issues, that's why delaer should check them prior selling them, that's at least what I do as like having happy customers starting day one. If you are new to boating would be a great idea to make a full engine starting course with someone who knows.

Happy Boating

Last edited:

GMLSX

Cadet
Boxed engines sometimes comes with issues, that's why delaer should check them prior selling them, that's at least what I do as like having happy customers starting day one. If you are new to boating would be a great idea to make a full engine starting course with someone who knows.

Happy Boating

I'm not new to boating. Just tore apart my 25 to fix it.

I am new to FOUR-stroke outboards and having engine oil in the head. I feel comfortable filling it, and checking the engine for damage etc. Just wasnt sure if it was recommended to have a dealer un-box and test run before I went out the first time.

Thanks!

pvanv

Admiral
If you want a valid warranty, you should have a real dealer do a PDI at no cost to you.

pvanv

Admiral
Pre-delivery inspection. Likely just a confirmation that LU is full and oil is not over full, verify temps with an IR thermometer, check idle RPM, make sure nothing is pinched, etc. When new (motor is not more than 30 days old), the dealer can do it at no cost to you. They send the info to Tohatsu America, who then bills the Internet dealer who did not do it, and the local dealer gets reimbursed. If the local guy wants to bill you for a PDI on a new motor, he either is not a Tohatsu dealer, or not aware of the arrangement for reimbursement, or is a thief.

GMLSX

Cadet
Thank you for the information! Going to call the dealer I planned on using to purchase this outboard to see if he knows about the free PDI and set up a relationship with him for future dealings and services.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
I'm seeing constantly in new 2 stroke factory deliverd boxed engines that they are comming way revving high when started for their first time and in various cases the kill switch's bullet connector are just comming slightly inserted to make electrical contact but not fully inserted in to a complete stop. Last week end a 9.8 user was left stranded drifting to Bermuda due to this issue, the bullet came apart due to engine vibration, was not aware of this cond due to bullet being held inside the plastic cover but not making contact. Assume same issues with 4 strokes new engines...

Happy Boating

Last edited:

GMLSX

Cadet
Thanks for the info! I have a PDI scheduled for Thursday at a local dealer. He's an actual Tohatsu dealer and offers the no charge PDI. He'll be my new dealer because he's taking care of his customers and is very helpful.