9.8hp tohatsu 2 stroke no shallow drive

slate1234

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi all I have the above and cant lift the engine up into shallow drive while in neutral, if I'm in forward (gear) it is fine and will lift but not in neutral, any help would be great before I take it in and spend my hard earned cash

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Was the shallow drive mechanism working before or just stopped working properly ? Could it be that the shallow drive only works at forward gear ? Had a 9.8 at the shop yesterday and played with lifting mechanism, but not with shallow drive so can't tell.

Happy Boating

slate1234

Petty Officer 1st Class
Yes it was working and the manual gives directions for using it in both neutral and forward gears

pvanv

Admiral
If it won't tilt up at all in N, the reverse lock may be mis-adjusted. If it tilts, but will not rest at shallow water position, the linkages may need to cleaned/oiled/adjusted/straightened.

slate1234

Petty Officer 1st Class
sorry should of said it's a 2014 model I haven't got round to getting a manual yet

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
When lifting mechanism starts to fail on Tohatsu engines are due to dried grease, salt, sand issues which jams the system. The tilting mechanism is not adjustable. What you need to do is lay engine down on floor with tiller facing upward. Tilt engine fully untill locks. Unscrew tilt stopper set plate (small plate with 2 bolts) that fixes tilt stopper onto internal swivel bracket body.

Once removed will find 2 half bushings, remove and fully clean them at both sides, once cleaned, grease both sides with water grease, clean tilt stopper arm to slide freely against greased bushings and set plate. Til stopper should be removed, cleaned and greased periodically during maintenance to ensure free and smooth tilt operation at all times.

If both half bushings are worn out or completely shot, install 2 new ones for tilt stopper to work properly. Check that springs are not missing.

Note: Before disassembling check how the tilting mechnism works, must be assembled back same way...

Happy Boating

Last edited:

slate1234

Petty Officer 1st Class
Ok just an update I have layed the engine down as you said sea rider, I didn't undo anything I applyed a small emount of grease to the springs ect worked the tilt up and down a few time and all seems well, it's working again, I rang the shop I got it from as the guarantee ran out 4 weeks ago but they have told me if it plays up next time I'm out, take it in and they wii sort it out for me under warranty, if nothing else I know to keep an eye on it and keep it clean and greased up.
Thank You

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Slate, you're welcome.

Won't be able to grease the internal bushing without removing small plate, but you can squirt car oil at bushing's sides while moving tilt stopper up and down for some time for oil to penetrate and lube.

Happy Boating