Jammed Engine.-

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Scenario : A 30 hour new 2 strokes Tohatsu 70 HP engine. Engine went through its break in period as factory stated, begun having wot problems due to dust in fuel (service station filter issues) which passed onto carbs. All 3 carbs were taken apart and immaculate cleaned, a short wot test was conducted, engine run well-

2 days latter starter rope wont budge 1 mm. Engine was pivoted to have pistons at a upright position, 1/2 bottle of W-40 was squirted onto all 3 pistons. One day after soak, still same, W-40 hasn't done its homework.

Seems the fuel/oil ratio used for testing was incompatible or owner forgot completely to add oil to the fuel. Was wondering how much time will an engine need to jam itself under both stated conditions ? How to tell if it's a pistom jam or a entire engine jam without stripping the entire crankcase.

Happy Boating

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Sea rider, are saying that the engine was broken in without fuel/oil mixture? If so, I can't even imagine what the internals would look like. I don't see it magically repairing itself.... :faint2: :eek:

hondam

Petty Officer 1st Class
I'm sorry if this sounds like a stupid question but is it in neutral? Make sure it's not the neutral safety lockout preventing you from pulling the cord.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
The engine went through its break in period as factory stated means 25:1 fuel/oil rate, then 50:1. First thing done was put gear in neutral including raising the spring that locks the pawl inside the locking system, no avail. Will remove entire starter lock assembly, pull all plugs out and move flywheel with hand back and forth to see if engine finally frees itself. Fingers crossed.

Happy Boating

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
The engine finally gave up its seized condition. culprit was found, excesive water on fuel tank due to E8 and bad service station installations . I'll add careless owner doesn't clean periodically his portable tank nor uses a water separator filter. The engine has been totally stripped down, near stuck piston pins were found. Probaby caput already, will have a closer look.

Happy Boating