Honda 20 hp part replacement help needed please

suzzie

Cadet
I need to know what this rusted part is called and were to get a replacement, 1995 20 hp Honda

hondam

Petty Officer 1st Class
On bigger engines they call that a steering arm part of the transom bracket and a real PITA to change. Pretty much the whiole motor has to come apart. I've done several on 225s as part of a warranty update and I'd imagine the process is much the same. I would leave it alone is the problem is purely cosmetic.

Last edited:

suzzie

Cadet
The thing is it has rusted real,real bad. ive actually chipped a lot of thick rust off which was actually the thing itself dissapearing , Im worried abought it breaking and the thought of what mite happen if it did is scary.
Any idea were I can find one?

suzzie

Cadet
hondam; I thought something was weird when looking for 1995 20hp parts. The tag on the front says 1995 and the hood says 20. would a 25 say 20?
thanks for the part #. do you have a picture of this piece? were can I find this piece? Can you send me a diagram of the motor broke down so I can see what would have to be taken off to change the thing? I have a pretty good mechanic to help me do it.

thanks for the help:suzzie

suzzie

Cadet
hey man I found it at iboats. it looks like it but how do I make sure I have a 25 hp motor? the dam thing is $357.00 crap. Is it hard to replace?

hondam

Petty Officer 1st Class
You look it up by serial number to make sure what you have. It is definately not a job for an amateur, definately think you should take it to a dealer.

suzzie

Cadet
The tag on the front says 1995 BF20 rated power 14.7 KW
tag on the side says 1000109 BAHL BF20A im thinking this is the serial
it is 3 cylinders
would you please show me were I can get this part, I do have a boat repair guy to put it in but I can save a few $ if I get it myself.

hondam

Petty Officer 1st Class
I cant find any information on any BF20A. Its like they never built one. The serial number is good for an engine originally sold in 1999 in GA but it doesnt give me a model number when i look it up like it usually does. There is alot of conflicting info here can i cant honestly say 100% for sure on any parts but id say if its a 3 cyl motor any of the early 25hp parts should work but thats just my best guess from all the info you have given me.

suzzie

Cadet
hondam it does have a sticker that says ellis marine Brunswick Georgia so your rite abought when it was sold, I wonder why it took 4 years to sell it. I also was told 25hp parts will fit. they say its a detuned 25 what ever that meens. on the serial tag it says BF20A
thank you for the help

suzzie

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Detuned, if it was done by a dealer, means they have made adjustments to the engine such as carb jets and other small things the change the output of the motor.

Here is a link to a manual for the Tohatsu M25C2, which should be the same as the Honda BF25, but as others have said, I could not find any information on a BF20, it could be that was a special package engine for a particular dealer to conform to certain regulations, or certain boat packages they offered at that time.

http://www.tohatsu.com/tech_info/own_man_pdfs/Toh25C2_30A3.pdf

Lots of weird undocumented things have happened to boat engines over the years and they are difficult to actually track down.

hondam

Petty Officer 1st Class
The dealer only had it for 2 months, Honda had it the rest of the time. Its not uncommon for honda to have an engine in their warehouse for a couple years, especially in the early days they would have one that would get the box it came in damaged or the motor scratch during shipping and they really didnt have a good system dealing with those motors and they would just pile up in the warehouse. It also probably wasn't a very popular model, 160lb 20hp, the current honda 20hp if you get the pull start is under 100lbs electric start just over 100 lbs.

suzzie

Cadet
I really wish I had known abought the weight of this motor. weight is an issue in this case. we think it will be ok but lighter would be better. we also would like it to have a pull rope along with the starter, for dead batteries. we nite fish and run lights. I'll just keep a spare battery onboard.
ive got the part on order

thank yall very much for all the help with our motor issue
suzzie