engine only runs with choke engaged

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Time to install a carb kit after a thorough cleaning...

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Fuel starvation, clean all fuel circuits, tank, inside pick up filter, hose, engine filter and carb.

Happy Boating

isaksp00

Petty Officer 1st Class
Each time my 8HP Honda has had similar symptoms it was cleaning the low speed circuit that fixed it, sometimes just be removing the low speed jet and cleaning it.

Alumarine

Captain
Yep, just went through this. Cleaning the carb solved that problem.
Very simple carb. Took it apart and soaked it in carb cleaner and blew it out.

hondam

Petty Officer 1st Class
Agree clean carb

At Honda school they tell us never to soak honda carbs in Carb cleaner because honda puts a clear coat on the aluminum and depending on how corrosive the cleaner is it can deteriorate the coating. The highly promote the use of an ultra sonic cleaner.

Now I don't know exactly what harm it does and know plenty of other techs that do it but just relaying what Honda said that one day in class

Last edited:

TwoRivers

Petty Officer 1st Class
Agree clean carb

At Honda school they tell us never to soak honda carbs in Carb cleaner because honda puts a clear coat on the aluminum and depending on how corrosive the cleaner is it can deteriorate the coating. The highly promote the use of an ultra sonic cleaner.

Now I don't know exactly what harm it does and know plenty of other techs that do it but just relaying what Honda said that one day in class

I can see Honda recommending that. Seems like once the clear coat is off everything will be OK. I'd be looking for a cleaner (most do) that removes paint.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Soaking disassembled carb in acrylic thinner for 15-30 minutes, then rinsing with generic carb spary works very well. Its a good practice to consume all fuel on carb(s) while engine is being flushed, specially 2 strokes engines.

Happy Boating