Need Help with a motor ID

Bullie

Petty Officer 1st Class
I am trying to figure out what model Nissan 9.9 this is...

Can anyone narrow it down for me?

Bullie

Petty Officer 1st Class
The cam roller is broken but I don't know what year it is to look up the part.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Looks as a Tohatsu/Nissan 9.9 B-B2 model. Do you have the large cam with high hill at end or the one that has the high hill passing middle cam's lenght. Post a pic if possible.

Happy Boating

Last edited:

TGuy

Petty Officer 1st Class
Sea Rider is correct...it's most likely the 9.9B2 model. The Nissan motors were blue in the 80's and changed to a gray color around 1992. The "B" model ended around early 1986 and was replaced with the "B2" model. This is about the same time that Nissan entered the US market with their brand (1984-85). The B2 model was replaced with the "C" model in the mid-90's which would have been a gray color. So if was an early Nissan 9.9 it could be a "B" model, but most likely it's the "B2" model. One way to find out for sure though, look on the block for a 5 digit number stamped into the metal. This would be the serial number. Then go to the nissanmarine.com website and go to their "contact us" page. You can send them a request with your model/serial number and see if they have a record of the serial number.

Bullie

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks guys. I will post a pic of the cam when I get home.

Assuming it is a B2, would a cam follower be available? I don't see a part number.

Last edited:

pvanv

Admiral
The roller/follower is part of the carburetor. Try to identify which carb (there are 2), and you may find a part available. Complete carbs are NLA.

Bullie

Petty Officer 1st Class
Looks as a Tohatsu/Nissan 9.9 B-B2 model. Do you have the large cam with high hill at end or the one that has the high hill passing middle cam's lenght. Post a pic if possible.

Happy Boating

Can you tell which carb this is or do I need to take another pic?

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
The arm and roller is part of the carb, if broken you had it. On D2 modesl you can change arn & roller which are integrated to timing plate.

Happy Boating

Last edited:

Bullie

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks. Can't find a part number for the roller though....is this one a lost cause other than maybe finding another carb?

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
The B2 parts manual doesn't mention a part number for the roller as it's integrated to the carb. Don't have irt clear which part is broken, the roller, the shaft, the support that holds the arm & roller to carb ? Can you post a pic. Depending what's broken, there could be a fix to it.

Happy Boating

Bullie

Petty Officer 1st Class
You can see the broken cam roller in post #7 above. The plastic linkage is broken off.

pvanv

Admiral
You either have to fabricate a new one, or get a used carb...

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
The plastic linkage is called the arm, is it possible to reconstruct the arm with epoxic resin, the 2 part puty stuff that you mix together. Other issue would be to modif a 15 D2 arm & roller. It it possible to dismount the arm & roller and take a pic. so to compare to a D2 arm & roller.

Happy Boating

Bullie

Petty Officer 1st Class
How would I go about reconstructing the arm with epoxy?

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
A pic of the disassembled broken arm is better than 30 written words....If helps, probably could do something matching/modifying a D2 arm & roller onto a B model carb. Have reconstructed lots of plastic parts with epoxy resin including fuel pump bodies.

Tohatsu 9.9-15 D2 Carb Parts.jpg

Happy Boating