Honda BF15 Crankshaft Bearings

mdrorrer

Recruit
I have a 2003 Honda 15 HP (BF15) 4 stroke that had an oil pump failure and needs a new crankshaft. It also needs 2 new crankshaft bearings ( 1 located in crankcase and one in crankcase cover). These bearings are just pressed into the crankcase and crankcase cover and it seems to me they would be easy to replace. Problem is that Honda does not offer them as OEM part and I have no idea what bearing size to order. The manual does give specs for the crankshaft with tolerances but not for the bearings. Has anyone replaced these or does anyone have any suggestions.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Welcome aboard mdrorrer :welcome: great to have you join us...

I have no idea as to the bearings. However you have a few options to find the replacements. Most all bearings have a number stamped on them. That number can be cross referenced to find a suitable replacement. On my '76 Johnson engine I actually found the number AND manufacture of the bearings and was very easy to find tons of replacements. If you don't find any numbers to work with. You can actually take measurement with even a ruler and find replacement bearing of the correct sizes that way. Most bearing place have measurements in both inches and millimeter sizes. So it shouldn't be too difficult to find the correct sizes. Bearings seem to by universal all around the world. Very few are not off the self sizes. Hope that helps you some.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Are these just plain sleeve bearings ?---Are these roller / ball bearings ?

mdrorrer

Recruit
Thanks to both racerone and gm280 ! Bearings are typical sleeve type bearings with a tab on one end that is aligned with a slot in the crankcase housing to quide the bearing in place so that lubrication holes line up. I'll press the bearing out of the crankcase cover this w/e and see if there are any ID numbers stamped on the back and if not will measure with calipers and do internet search. Thanks guys for quick responses and suggestions..

racerone

Supreme Mariner
They are not listed but your friendly HONDA dealer may be able to help.-------------Likely available through a HONDA dealer who knows his stuff.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Take worn sample to a bearing store and match same, buy a good quality European or Japanese brand and voil?.

Happy Boating

hondam

Petty Officer 1st Class
Did you already buy parts? They don't offer bearings because they really don't want people building them themselves. They offer service replacement assemblies at reasonable prices. They do this with a lot of their engines. Get a hold of your Honda dealer and see if they cant help you out, they will probably need to get a hold of their district rep to confirm a part number but you may be able to get the whole thing already assembled for about $500.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
I would simply machine my own sleeve bearings with some bronze material.