fuel issue on 1984 tohatsu m15b 351a

I had an issue with getting fuel to the motor. I had to originally keep on pumping the primer bulb for my motor to continue running. I pulled off the fuel pump and carburetor cleaned them with a brush and carb cleaner last night when I put the carburetor back on the outboard and took it for a test run it would not go even half speed at all .

Originally posted on my kindle.... kind of lacking details... On my pc now, so here goes:

I purchased a 15 HP Tohatsu m15B 351A outboard with a little 14 foot fiberglass skiff. It ran good with the already full fuel tank it came with. I took it out and it ran like a champ for the entirety of the tanks contents. When i fueled up again, i started having issues with the motor choking and dying out when going anywhere over trolling speed. I figured out that pumping the primer ball would keep it from dying, but i didnt really want to have to continually pump the primer while cruising, so i researched it and found that it would be something to do with fuel, either in the pump or carburator. I took the pump and carb off (the pump is attached to the carb) and using some carb cleaner spray and a brush, cleaned everything out of both the pump and carb. When i put it back on the boat and test drove my efforts last night, the primer ball issue disappeared, but now i can only go about half the top speed i was able to go before.

Im a very technically minded person, and am not scared to take things apart, so thats exactly what i did. My question is, should i pull the carb back out and put it in some carb cleaner soak? should i just do the seafoam in the carb while running thing?

Also, when i was putting the diaphragms pack on the pump, one of them looked the exact same whether it was placed on the pump with side 1 facing the carb or side 2 facing the carb, would that make a major difference if it was backward?

I just wanted to get some feedback before i pull the motor back off and carry it up the gnarly stairs up to the car to take it home.... please advise... :)

Thanks,

Josh

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Probably have worn or dried fuel connectors o'rings which lets air in fuel circuit and engine misses, bogs or even stops, being an oldie, what's the general condition of the fuel pump diaphragams, are they dried, porous, balooned ? no difference placing rear gasket back in, it's a gasket that seals fuel pump body with pump cover. Are both tank inside pick up filter and carb filter immaculate clean ?

Happy Boating

when i put the carb back in, i didnt set the throttle connection back up to where it was, but rather about halfway there. bonehead move on my part. carb and pump looked good already but i still cleaned them to shinyness.

just got back from halibut jiggin. got skunked, but at least my motor is back in action!