Electric Start on Tohatsu 9.8 Motor

evanburen

Cadet
I'm new to boating and I have a very basic 14 ft aluminum boat with no motor. I found a 2013 Tohatsu 9.8 HP short shaft outboard that's never been used and the guy is asking $1,900 for it. I can buy a brand new one for $1,900 with just a rope pull but the 2013 has an electric start option. A couple of questions: Is $1,900 a good price for this motor and can I even use the electric start on it? Like I said, I just have a basic boat with no ignition or console or anything like that and I'm not sure how the electric start works. Thanks

gruhler

Recruit
I have a 9.8 Tohatsu electric start long shaft as a kicker motor for my boat. I like the electric start when I am fishing and working the wind. I drift then start up the motor and re-position and drift some more. I am grateful for the electric start. You can then also keep some electronics powered up with a battery on board, such as a fish finder or GPS. I have two batteries, one for my main motor (115 Merc) and the other for the 9.8. My motor is around a 2010 model (can't remember when I bought it) and so far so good.

Depending on how much you are going to be starting the motor, the electric is a nice feature. I had a stretch when I only had one battery connected to my main motor and used the pull start on the 9.8. It too was easy.

Depending on how you are going to use the motor, the electric is easier but you may not need to start and stop too often.

evanburen

Cadet
Thanks. How does the electric start work? What would I need to install or buy to use it?

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
The 9.8 is a piece of cake to start, no electric start is needed unless you have a center console installed and like starting the engine from there or need a bat and charger to power electronic gadgets.

Happy Boating

pvanv

Admiral
Assuming you have an MFS9.8A3EFS (4-stroke of 2007 or newer vintage, electric/tiller/short); you did not mention... refer to the owner's manual at http://tohatsu.com/tech_info/manuals.html as a guide. With the motor installed and in the water... Observe polarity of wires; connect a deep cycle battery to the battery cable; set shifter, throttle and choke; push the "main" button... and ta-da.