Tohatsu 90 TLDI dies under load

JMFCC

Recruit
Hi,
I recently bought a Tohatsu 90 TLDI. A couple of days ago I hit (slowly) a mud bank. I later continued for a while without noticing anything strange. A couple of hours later when I started the Motor again it started normally but I have 3 Lights flashing and when I put it onto gear the engine stops (it does not stop if propeller is near surface). Any ideas?

Thanks

pvanv

Admiral
You don't mention whether it's an A or B or C2 model... or whether you got it new. If new, your dealer can troubleshoot it under warranty. If not, grab a Factory service manual as a guide, put it into diag mode, and let it tell you what it sees as wrong. A common reason for all 3 led's to flash is an incorrect starting procedure,resulting in a confused TPS initial setting. You must only start the motor with throttle at minimum; if for some reason, it was started at a higher setting, you may need to reset the TPS sensor initial setting.

Last edited:

JMFCC

Recruit
Thanks Paul. I got it used and and I believe it's a B (not sure if it helps but it's light grey). It looks to me the motor has some kind of protection (mechanical or electronic) to prevent big damages if it hits something (like a sand bank) that mediately stops it... The reason I say this is because it starts fine and just dies under load...

pvanv

Admiral
The correct model will be in the format "MD90B" on the serial number tag. TLDI motors are not "shade tree mechanic" friendly; the motor needs to be properly diagnosed, with the aid of the onboard diags. Your local dealer can help you, or if you are reasonably handy and have proper tools, you can use the Factory service manual as a guide and proceed. No, there isn't any failsafe software to cause the motor to die at speed following a collision. But there may be other damage that is causing the issue.