Honda 2003 50 Hp water in oil mystery

Status
Not open for further replies.

steven2sea

Recruit
I have a 50 Hp 2003 Honda outboard that I have tried almost everything to resolve a water in oil (and bottom cyl) issue and so far no success. All started when I rebuilt/serviced carbs 2.5 yrs ago. I have since replaced head gasket (x2), block, head, and intake manifold. Two complete tear downs. Way too deep not to find the problem now. Looks like bottom cyl is not firing at all, no fire ring on cyl wall in new block. Water getting in this cyl, and gets in engine oil also. Within 20 mins there is froth/lather under oil fill cap, after new oil, filter change etc. Could it possibly be something with carb#3, that is making so water is getting pulled into cyl from intake water jacket? other ideas?

Bosunsmate

Admiral
Drop the lu and hook the garden hose up to the intake pipe, pull out the sparkplugs and then see if you can see where the waters coming in from.
Might be an exhaust gasket too although i dont have a schematic to look of of that motor

steven2sea

Recruit
Thanks for the response. I actually tried exactly what you suggest. I used a small bore light and looked in cylinder(s) and didn't see any water getting in. Turning the flywheel to make sure to inspect while the exhaust and intake valves ea had turns at being open. I had the oil pan drain plug out too while I was pumping the water through the intake pipe and I didn't see anything dripping out of it either. Also tried with thermostat in place and removed. Now there was a lot of water that came down outside the where the oil pan mates to the base, but I figured that was normal drainage passages from the block. After I did that test I replaced the intake manifold thinking it must be something with it that I just couldn't find, but still same prob. There is a water jacket around the exhaust on outside of block but I couldn't see how water could enter exhaust manifold from the o-ring seal on it, looked like it separated thermostat side from water intake side. Head gasket seals exhaust from water running through block and head it appears. If you have any more suggestions would really appreciate it, obviously I really want to figure this out.

Bosunsmate

Admiral
Well im down to wacko suggestions but il ask just in case.
You say it happened after servicing the carb, you didnt put any hoses on to the carb from where they werent from?
Ie some carbs have scavenging hoses which suck back into the carbs/manifold, if one of them was accidentally swapped with a hose that circulates water then that problem could happen

steven2sea

Recruit
Don't think so. When I have drained carbs to remove intake/carb assembly seem to be gas draining out of all, incl #3. I replaced both the head and the block, so unless new block or head was bad, shouldn't be that. Problem has been same both before and after new major parts being installed. Comp test seem to be good. I am at a loss too, but when I get time to work on it again I will try to consider all theories, incl wacko ones. so if you have any more, pls send'm my way. thx!

Bosunsmate

Admiral
Ok, here it is.
What if you run it with the LU off and the hose attached to the Intake, does it still happen after 20mins?
My reading of your post #8 is that you inspected the cylinders etc then when you had the hose connected, you didnt see anything dropping out of anywhere and you werent running it.
If you try this dont turn the hose on extremely hard just a nice steady flow that would replicate normal flow in a motor (i know hard to know precisely what that is, but not too hard)

Bosunsmate

Admiral
Also do you know anywhere i can get a schematic for this motor?
Enigmas are the best

Status
Not open for further replies.