Unidentified object in Honda BF50 oil. How worried should I be?

Greetings, I just purchased a 2000 Honda BF50 with approx. 350 hours on it. After a 30 test drive, I brought it home and decided to change the oil. All looked normal, except for a few pieces of some strip of rubber (please see photo).

Any idea what this is, whether I should be worried, and if so, what I should do?

This is my first post. Please let me know if I am posting in the wrong place (or if I’ve screwed up the post in any other way). Thanks ahead of time for any and all advice!

Attachments

• Foreign object in oil.jpg
    Foreign object in oil.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 0

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Is it possible to flatten it out to get an idea of the shape.Perhaps wash the gunk off maybe there are identifying marks

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
I'd be looking for a manual,with a parts breakdown of all components. Could be a part of a gasket. Or was it in a jug of oil when it was poured in??

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
or its paint that has let loose from the inside of the casting

robert graham

Admiral
Maybe a small piece of the rubberized sealant that the factory used to seal the various engine cases/components during assembly?....Whatever it is, I doubt it's a problem....maybe change your oil again sooner than later just to be sure there's no more of it...

Thanks everyone, for your suggestions and thoughts. Glad to hear that this isn't an obvious symptom of a very bad decision on my part to buy the outboard. Per Steelespike's suggestion, I flattened out and wiped the gunk off the UFO. Please see the attached photo. It does look like it's been pressed between parts.

Flattented UFO.jpg Thoughts?

Thanks again, this board is a great resource, and is emboldening me to do more of my own work on my outboards!