TOHATSU M25A2 25hp Steering Force Problem

StumpsNSW

Recruit
Hi there from Newcastle, Australia.
I have a M25A2 (1981) Tohatsu. Runs well. However the steering force is too strong (won't easily swivel). I have sought to marine grease it which released it to a degree, have heated it, but it still steers hard. The manual speaks about there being a "Steering Force bolt" that adjusts clockwise for stronger and anti-clockwise for losser. I cannot find this bolt anywhere. It doesn't seem to exist. It just feels like something needs to be adjusted. Any help gratefully received. Cheers to everyone!

Last edited:

pvanv

Admiral
An old A2? Cool. Parts will be scarce, though. Nothing available in North America. So beware.
The steering friction/tension bolt should be on the side, below the power head. Probably port side. Probably a 13mm head. Typically has a spring between the bolt head and the motor to keep it where adjusted. If the steering was nearly seized, the PO might have removed/discarded the bolt. You may need to disassemble the steering shaft and clean/re-grease it.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
That nut is located at middle swivel bracket as seen from back transom stardbord side, the one with a thick spring. If bolt is missing svivel bracket should be completely loose, unless bolt is there ad PO adjusted it very tight for sailboat uses or steering shaft is severely corroded and nearly jammed inside sviwel bracket. Check if bolt is there. To remove steering shfat out of sviwel bracket to clean and regrease is a long tedious work...

Happy Boating