2000 9.9 4 stroke nissan siezed

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
Hello I just received a 2000 9.9 4 strk nissan and the motor is seized. I was wondering if it was worth rebuilding I have not torn into it yet so i do not know the extant of the damage. What I was told was he was cruising along on his main motor and the kicker dropped into the water and was in gear so the whole powerhead was spinning until it siezed up

pvanv

Admiral
Was it salt or fresh water? How long since the accident? Were the plugs pulled immediately? Crankcase drained and oil added to everything, including cylinders... then cycled by recoil to get the oil everywhere? You may have no issues at all (aside from liquid lock), or you could have a bent/broken rod, in addition to whatever electrical issues.

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
Sorry the motor was not submerged at all the motor was either left down or dropped down so when he took off the the prop was in the water since it was in gear the powerhead was turning but not running

pvanv

Admiral
Doubtful that the motor actually turned against the compression. I would expect the prop to ratchet if in F with the motor OFF. If not Remote type, and stop clip was in place... if it DID actually cycle the motor in F, the motor would probably have started/run. OTOH, if Remote and OFF, or stop clip disengaged, prop didn't ratchet, and somehow had enough thrust to crank over the powerhead with ignition OFF, might have washed down the cylinders with raw gas, causing ring sticking/seizing.
Is the neutral safety engaged and jammed? Does the prop turn in N?
If the neutral safety is OK, will the motor crank at all? If not, check over all fluids (especially crankcase oil), add penetrating or Marvel oil to the cylinders, remove recoil, and see if you can muscle the motor (clockwise) to un -stick it.

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
Hello thank you for your help just tore it down and the connecting rods are shattered I think it dropped while it was in reverse I have seen broken connecting rods before just have never seen them shattered like this thanks for your help I will just sell the parts on ebay

pvanv

Admiral
Wow. Boat must have really been carrying the mail, and the 9.9 must have been in R. Could have a twisted drive shaft, and a whole bunch of problems. Best to part it out. Beware that you may have bent valves and damaged piston tops from piston-to-valve contact.