GAS TANK

rocket rich

Petty Officer 1st Class
WHAT IS THE BEST WAY TO STORE YOUR PLASTIC GAS TANK IN THE WINTER??? FULL OR EMPTY

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Close the vent, add some Stabil to the gas left in the tank if you feel better and go boating in the Spring. Now I'm sparking the Great Debate. :doh:

alldodge

Staff member
Figuring were discussing a hand carryable tank and agree empty. Put any left over contents in cars tank, leaf or snow blower and use it up.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Figuring were discussing a hand carryable tank and agree empty. Put any left over contents in cars tank, leaf or snow blower and use it up.

I was thinking portable also. I've emptied, filled, treated and done nothing to portables. The end result was the same. I started her up in the spring and never looked back. Well that's not true. I looked back to see if she peeing in case a bug crawled up the tell-tell. YMMV

pvanv

Admiral
Personally, I empty portable tanks completely (use the fuel for the car, snow blower, whatever). Large onboard tanks are supposed to nearly full (to reduce condensation, but then in the spring, you have 1/2 year old gas. I even go so far as to leave the cap off for a few days so all the remnants of the gas in the 3 and 6 gallon tanks is gone. I also drain the carb bowl, and empty the fuel lines (both primer hose, and the internal hoses in the motor cowl, including the fuel pump as per P 69 of your owner's manual) as well as draining the water separator.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Yes, but will need to pour leftovers in small quantities to be deluted with fresh fuel inside tank, probably 4 to1 to smoke the least.

Happy Boating

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
It's a good thing to run bowl dry disconnecting engine connector untill engine drops dead. If wanting complete fuel circuit to be near 98% empty, flush engine on and install a spare female fuel connector on engine connector and let engine die, this will double the idle or fast idle flushing time too. Why leave fuel filter full of fuel specially when about to sit engine for long time periods.

Flushing 2.JPG

If wanting to burn the near 2% of fuel leftovers on the entire fuel circuit, when engine is about to die, pull chocke out-in and throtttle, repeat several times till dead.

Happy Boating

Last edited: