Remote Control Cables all the same?

Plandeck

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I need to replace the remote control cable for the gear shift. The old cable kinked and snapped at the remote hand lever from repeated maintenance. Are all cables the same? A "high performance" Suzuki cable can cost $80 with shipping.

Lewis1111

Seaman
Generally speaking all cables are the same, what is different is the attaching ends at the remote control and on the engine side. I've always had good luck with Teleflex cables. Check out the link below and it'll show the difference between cable ends. Also want to make sure you order the correct length. Best way to do this is copy the length of the old cable by getting the numbers off the outer sleeve of the cable. If no numbers can be found; on the same site below is a easy walk through on the correct procedure for cable measurement.

http://www.seastarsolutions.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/c1-xtreme.pdf

pvanv

Admiral
Tohatsu America carries the very good Hi Lex brand, at a very good price. I would suggest changing out both the throttle and shift. You will need to confirm that they are standard Morse cables, and verify the length.

Plandeck

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Can you say what you like about them different from the less expensive type? The cable that kinked and snapped was Teleflex ($30). Not real happy with the connection point where the cable at the remote end enters its sheath...kept coming apart...thus the kink and breakage.

Last edited:

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Can you say what you like about them different from the less expensive type?
They seem to last longer and stay operating smoother longer. They supposedly are less prone to binding because of sharp bends although I try not to let that happen anyway.