Honda 30 RPM Dropping at Idle??

Seaman
What would cause my Honda 30 to drop in rpm when warmed up in neutral at idle from ~950 to ~625 rpm (where it becomes really rough) I give it some throttle (1200 rpm) then stabilizes back to ~950 rpm then slowly drops back down (2-3 minutes). Haven’t let it drop till the engine dies. Running at speed and when in gear at idle aren’t any problem. Only when in neutral at idle. Happens both on water and on muffs, seems more exaggerated with muffs. Autostart enrichment valve?? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
That's a 2 or 4 stroke engine ? Seems carb's low circuit could be not sufficiently clean, mixture screw and or idle screw out of proper settings.

Happy Boating

Seaman
Thanks for the input Sea Rider. Think I resolved the issue. I'll have to see what happens the next time I take her for a spin.

TD_Maker

Chief Petty Officer
Make sure you sinc the carbs. Absolutely critical for a nice even idle on a Honda. Also, make sure the motor is not sucking in air around the intake manifold in the Carb area. While the motor is trying to idle, spray the area with carb cleaner or WD-40. If the idle changes (good or bad) you may have found the reason for the idle change. I fought it for a couple weeks before I found the issue. Now my motor runs verrrrrry smooth.