no spark, won't start

mlgjr

Cadet
My tohatsu 2007, 9.8 is not starting and need some help to fix it, no spark but the red light when starting is on, starter is ok and rotating the engine, any suggestion is greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

pvanv

Admiral
Please verify precise model. Is this an MFS 9.8A3 4-stroke? Electric start?

rocket rich

Petty Officer 1st Class
which is the best prop for my tohatsu 9.8 A3,electric start 4 stroke the prop from the manufacture has a 7.5 marking on the prop. also a 7.0 prop which is best and why??

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
My tohatsu 2007, 9.8 is not starting and need some help to fix it, no spark.

Being a 8 year oldie, check/clean if needed all electrical ground cables, must be shinny and properly grounded against powerhead. If all are ok, could be any electrical related issue. Does that model have a single CD/Ignition Coil pack ?

Happy Boating

pvanv

Admiral
Verify the stop clip is in place. If Remote, verify BOTH clips are on (newer production deleted the on-motor stop switch for Remote models). Check plug condition. Verify whether there is spark to the plugs. If so, problem is not ignition.

If not:
Verify output from the CD to the siamese coil (if good and no spark, you have a bad coil -- verify with ohm tests). If not, verify whether there is in fact a good signal to the CD from both the pulser and exciter. If not, verify ohm readings of the pulser and exciter. If they are good, run the ohm tests on the CD. You must use an analog meter for the ohm tests.

As for props, only trial and error will tell you the best pitch for your setup. Best to use a tach to determine if you are near the 6000 RPM WOT range. If under 5000, you are over propped (too much pitch).

Last edited:

mlgjr

Cadet
is that stop clip should always be there when starting the motor?

Last edited:

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Check Exciter Coil output, if altered, out of specs change, if ok, you have a shot CD/IC pack.

Happy Boating

mlgjr

Cadet
I don't have the stop clip anymore, when i got this motor there is no stop clip with it. Can I just use anything to insert and full the stop switch?

Last edited:

mlgjr

Cadet
It's alright guys, the problems has been solved and the engine works great. Thanks to all your comments and answers it is greatly apreciated and helped me a lot, thank you.

Last edited:

mlgjr

Cadet
about my gear, it is locked at forward position, can i fix it ?need your help. thanks.

Last edited:

mlgjr

Cadet
my gear is locked at forward position, can i fix it? any suggestion or instruction?

pvanv

Admiral
This really should be a new thread, as it's a different issue. But...
Is the recoil safety pawl engaged? It is possible to get into gear and also jam the neutral safety pawl, effectively jamming everything. If so, pry the pawl up with a screwdriver.
Or, did someone horse the shifter when the motor was off, bending the linkage to the shift handle?
Or, did someone forget to insert the 3mm roll pin in the shift coupler, allowing the shift rod to disengage from the cam rod?

mlgjr

Cadet
Thanks for your reply sir I appreciate it,
1. where is recoil safety pawl ?
2. neutral safety pawl?
3.3mm roll pin in the shift coupler?

Sorry, but this is the first time to do this and I admire your knowledge to this motor, I hoped you can follow and advise me what to do. I appreciate it very much. Thank you so much.

pvanv

Admiral
If you are unfamiliar with the neutral safety, it may be best to see your dealer. But, if you want to tackle the job... See pages 38 and 39 of the owner's manual at http://www.tohatsu.com/tech_info/own_man_pdfs/Toh_MFS8A3_98A3_003-11082-9.pdf about how to remove the recoil starter in the event that the recoil starter fails to operate. Review the parts diagram below for explanation. Your vintage will have a slightly different mechanism, but the principles are the same. Verify that part 1-14 is not jammed into the recoil. 002-21051-4_FIG07.JPG

Last edited:

mlgjr

Cadet
the part 1-14 is attached and the engine is working, it starts at forward position but cannot put in NEUTRAL POSITION,should I check or something to do with the CLUTCH CAM?