9.8A3 Rev Limiter

flumdog

Cadet
I've just completed break-in on my new motor, after which the dealer did a checkup and changed the fluids. Now I'm noticing that the rev limiter kicks in at WOT. I assume this is happening now simply because it's getting broken in and has fresh engine oil and lube oil. It runs great. The limiter only engages under perfect conditions (flat/no wind). And then all I have to do is back off the throttle just a small amount and the condition goes away. Motor has the standard prop that came with it and I'm pushing a fairly light 11.5 foot aluminum boat. Top speed maxes out at just a hair under 20mph, so I have no complaints! If anything this is probably a little too much motor for the boat but I was looking at the 8hp and went with the 9.8 because it weighed the same and had more horses for a minimal cost difference.

Should I consider a different prop or not worry about it?

Thanks!

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Factory standard delivered props moving light boats will deliver max wot rpm and in some cases will pass max stated wot numbers. Does the rev limiter kicks in while boating with you alone lightly loaded ? If so, addding a second boater will solve the rev limiter kicking in issue.

If liking boating solo, throttle less specially at wot or go for a + pitch prop to lower max rpm a bit down so rev limiter doesn't kick in, anyway consult your dealer if going for at least to next + prop pitch than factory delivered pitch.

Happy Boating

pvanv

Admiral
The rev limiter kicks in at about 6200 RPM. I would prefer you never exceed 6000, as you can damage the motor. You can either go one pitch higher, or throttle back a hair... or get a buddy to go boating with you (adding weight).

rocket rich

Petty Officer 1st Class
I came on this to, discuse why my boat seems to do the same as above only at about 5800 rpms?? I'm not use to having a rev limiter, so I'm not sure thats what's happening. I can be going anywhere from 56-5800 rpm when it feel like it's bucking for lack of a better term,and it will keep doing this every time I put new gas in it. I only use Premium gas. but that's not the gas problem ( Mobil) Rocket Rich

pvanv

Admiral
Rich,

Does the issue go away later -- is it only right after you fill the tank?