9.8A3 Cold Weather Operations

flumdog

Cadet
I'm trying to figure out how long I can safely extend my boating season here in the Northeast. The manual says to keep the motor tilted down and in the water during freezing conditions but the boat sits on a tidal flat where it floats at high tide but otherwise sits on the grass and mud. So I can't leave the prop in the water. The mechanic at the dealer said it's not a problem because the motor is designed to drain completely in the tilted position. Any thoughts from others about this?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
The exhaust housing does not drain if tilted up. Your mechanic should know this

flumdog

Cadet
That's exactly why I like to double check. Normally I'd always defer to the folks that designed the motor but the dealer seems generally competent.

Would it be OK to drain the motor in a vertical position for a few minutes and then leave it tilted during freezing weather? Or so I need to pull the motor and haul it home after each use?

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
After boating in freezing temp below 0 deg C, if combo will remain moored engine must be tilted down, or tilt engine up and immediately pull cord some pulls to drain any water remaining inside water pump, gravity should take care of it.

If taking combo out of water after use, pull cord several times at vertical position, then can take home and store preferably sitting on a engine stand at a sheltered place.

The exhaust housing has a small lateral hole that drains any water staying there...

Happy Boating

Last edited:

pvanv

Admiral
There is a distinct possibility that the prop shaft housing will fill with rainwater (which can freeze) if the motor is tilted. The drains may or may not be clogged. Safer to leave it down when possible. Never ever crank the motor (even by hand) when the water pump is out of the water. That adds a lot of wear to the impeller. If you will be using the motor in sub-freezing weather and it can't stay down, it is safer to take it home when not using it.

flumdog

Cadet
Thanks. I am convinced. My new baby will live on its motor stand in the garage until I need to use it.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
If an engine will live moored at a marina during winter time or at rainy season with tilted leg up, cover prop with a thick plastic cover, bag to avoid shaft housing being filled with rainwater or exposed to the elements. If pulling start cord several times, not a tech issue, remenber, you have just pulled combo out of water, consequently the water pump is still wet along impeller, besides those out of this world Tohatsu impellers are Rambo proof..

Happy Boating