99 9.8 tohatsu 2 stroke very little to now water coming out the peehole.

tino49

Recruit
hello. i am new to this forum. all the help is very much appreciated. i have a 9.8 2 stroke tohatsu it is a m9.8b model number. i just recently bought this from an older couple. i was running it in a tank and notice that after a few minutes the water coming from the pee hole has stop flowing or slowdd down to a trickle and the water coming from the idle hole has increased its flow. is this normal or should i go into it?. i am on the edge about taking it out like this cause i surely don't want it to run hot on me. thanks

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Welcome to Iboats.

If peeing is poor poke a wire in-out with engine on several times to clarify obstruction, probably engine was not rinsed with fresh water after salt water use and might have developed some salt clogs around pee tube. That 9.8 being a 15 year oldie will surely need a new Water Pump Kit along thermostast & gasket, engine will pump more water along cooling down much better than before.

Happy Boating

pvanv

Admiral
The telltale is just an indicator of pressure. It can clog. Given that your idle port flow increased, that's likely. If in doubt, read the temperature of the motor with an IR gun thermometer.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
welcome aboard. when was the last impeller change? 2 years on salt water, 5 years on fresh water