9.8 Nissan locked up

moondog419

Recruit
Today while fishing with my 2009 9.8 electric start Nissan that has less than 100 hours on it. It suddenly died I have been having a problem the last couple days Where the motor runs for a long period time and then acts like it's out of gas if I squeeze the squeeze bulb and it continues to run but if I forget to do this every so often it dies but that's beside the point anyhow it was running fine and suddenly it died I thought I had just failed to squeeze the priming bulb so I squeezed it and attempted to restart it turned over started for a second then died again so again I tried to restart it this time the starter just made a clicking sound so even though it had been on for sometime I thought it could possibly be a dead battery so I attempted to pull start it and found that I cannot pull the pull starter at first I thought it was a linkage issue but I checked the linkage and it's not a problem that I could tell that so shifted into neutral after a bit of being unable to shift it into forward but it would easily go from reversed into neutral now I can go reverse neutral forward without any problems but still can't get it started, I turned the prop in gear and out of gear and there's no problems there. So I don't know what to do next, possibly liquid lock not sure why this would happen? I know that the engine was circulating water correctly and was filled with the proper amount of oil it was clean and no oil light was on when it died. so any ideas be a great help thank you.

pvanv

Admiral
If you needed to re-prime the fuel, you either have an air leak (likely a bad primer hose assembly) or a poor fuel pump.

If neither the electric nor rope starters work, either your neutral safety has activated and jammed, of there is a lockup of some sort;

Confirm that the black plastic starter lock is not engaged. If it is, pop it out and then confirm that it operates correctly as you shift F-N-R. Keep in mind that you may not be able to engage R if the motor isn't running.

Once past that, check the oil level. If it is too full, the crankcase pressure can prevent starting/running.

If all the above checks out, pull the plugs to see if there is liquid in one or both cylinders. If so, it should be ejected when you crank with the plugs out.